The 28th Hunger Games: Prolouge and Reapings {A Fanfiction}

Some have often said that the 28th Hunger Games were fun to watch. Some have said they were the worst. All have agreed that the 28th Hunger Games had an outcome that no one would forget...until the next year, that is. The 28th Hunger Games were just like any other...or were they? Of course there were lies, betrayal, love, fate, deceit, and a victor, but did anyone really win in the end?

That, my friends, is the question.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

District 1 Reaping

Rainbow-Light Moonshine POV

I put one last curl in my hair before stepping out of my bedroom, knowing it could possibly be my last time there. Smoothing my crinkled plain white button-up shirt, my hands shook. I was always scared. I mean, I know I shouldn’t be, but I can’t help it. It’s supposed to be an honor to be chosen, and many people volunteer. Yeah, volunteer. I can’t think of anyone I would volunteer for, except for my sister, Fireflight. Those games are barbaric. Stupid. Pointless. Yeah, we get it. The Capitol is in control.

Taking a deep breath, I embraced my mom and dad before getting into the car and driving 5 minutes to the center of town, where the annual reapings were. My sister and I laughed and talked, but there was tension in the air. Somehow, today felt…different. Almost a bad kind of different, but I waved it off as the effect of it just being a generally grim day.

Finally, we pulled into the town. The reaping stage was already surrounded by twelve to eighteen year olds waiting for their future to be announced. Would they get to live another year, or was this the end of the road? I said one last goodbye to my mom and dad, and led my sister to the girls’ section. I knelt down. My sister was short for her age, 5’0, and I was almost 5’8. “Whatever happens today, Fireflight, I want you to know I love you, OK?”

“Jeez, Rain. You sound so pessimistic. Come on, you didn’t even let me sign up for any tesserae. I’ll be fine. It’s you I’m worried about.”

I gently squeezed her shoulder. “That’s because we don’t need any tesserae. Or at least, don’t need it badly.” The truth was, we did sort of need tesserae. We just couldn’t bear to put our names in that bowl one more time than was necessary.

She smiled. “Alright, Rain. Whatever you say. Love you too.” All of the sudden, a loud screeching noise filled our ears. Microphone feedback. All these years of technology, and we still can’t fix feedback?

A young woman, probably in her 20s, winced, then cleared her throat. “Hello District One!” she said cheerily. “Today we celebrate the control of the Capitol over the Districts. As a reminder to all those who…” I zoned out. Same speech every year. The only time I really listened was when they called the tributes.

“For the District One boy tribute!” said the woman. I think her name was Glitter Rave, she looked like the woman we had last year, just with one or two more facial adornments. “Periwinkle Tulle!” An average looking boy emerged from the crowd. I could tell he was trying to keep a poker face.

“I volunteer!” said a boy in the back of the crowd. He was wearing ripped up jeans and a black shirt. He was kind of handsome, too. But he just volunteered for death. He pushed his way forward.

“Al…right.” said Glitter. Periwinkle anxiously left the stage. “And your name is?” she asked.

“Adam. Adam Way.” he said proudly. Glitter shrugged.

“And now for the girl tribute!” Her hand rummaged around in the big glass bowl for a while. She seemed to be taking her time. The seconds passed agonizingly. She eventually pulled a small piece of paper out. Please don’t let it be me. Please don’t let it be-“Fireflight Moonshine!” said Glitter, seeming to be pleased that she had done her job once again.