Jordan and Kent (2nd prequal to the werewolf series)

Kent wiped the sweat from his brow and took a long drink of water from his thermos as he sat on the wooden beam he had just gotten done nailing up on the roof of the library in town.

"Taking a break already?" his cousin Phillip asked as he flopped down beside him. Kent nodded.

"I figure we're doing this for charity so we can take all the breaks we want." he replied. The two of them had been doing carpentry work all over town for free the last few weeks in an attempt to help the struggling economy while World War II raged on.

"Did you hear about the family that just moved into a house outside of town last week?" Phillip asked. Kent twirled his hammer in his hand and shook his head.

"No." he replied. Phillip looked around and then down below them as if to make sure he would not be overheard and then he leaned closer to Kent. "It's a family of wolves and you'll never guess who the alpha is." Kent raised a brow and waited for his cousin to continue but clearly his cousin was waiting on him to guess.

"It's a long way down." Kent said with a grin as he looked at the ground thirty feet below and laid a hand on Phillip's shoulder.

"You wouldn't dare." Phillip said narrowing his brown eyes.

"Why not? It wouldn't kill you." Kent replied with a grin.

"The alpha is Charles Collins." Phillip said quickly. Kent frowned both because he wasn't going to be able to throw Phillip off of the roof and because he recognized that name.

"Great." he said. That was all he needed. A family full of tough, ass kicking wolves living right next door. Now Kent was muscular and tough in his own right but he was also very short. At five feet six inches, he wasn't any taller than most women and from what he had heard the Collin's were a family of giants.

"Well we better get back to work." Phillip said raising up and balancing himself on the beam. Kent jumped to his feet and began sprinting across the rooftop.

"Having a low center of gravity must come in handy sometimes." Phillip shouted at him. Kent just grinned back at him as he got back to work.

Several more hours passed and Kent was about to call it a day when he caught a scent on the breeze that stopped him dead in his tracks.

'MATE' his inner wolf screamed. He dropped his hammer and it fell thirty feet to the ground with a sharp clang. Kent didn't take the time to worry about whether or not he had injured anyone below, his mind was focused only on finding his mate. He scanned the surroundings from up on top of the building but could see nothing. He heard footsteps on the sidewalk below and so he moved closer to the edge of the roof and that's when he saw her.

She was beautiful. Her dark hair was cut much shorter than he had ever seen a woman wear her hair and it was jagged and choppy around her face. She had tiny features. Her mouth was shaped like a heart and she had big blue eyes. He leaned closer to try to get a better look at her body when he lost his footing and fell down to the ground below landing on his back at her feet.

Jordan let out a tiny scream and covered her mouth with her hand. She stared down at the man lying there and realized in an instant that he wasn't just a man because he was still breathing and even appeared to be smiling as he stared up at her in awe.

She also realized that the wolf in her was coming alive and going crazy at his presence. 'Help the mate! He fell! He is hurt!' The wolf screamed. Jordan took several big steps back. Mate? She had not really expected to ever find her mate. She was short and tiny and was told all the time that she looked more like a fairy or a pixie than she did a werewolf. The werewolf lying at her feet was wearing a tight white tank top and a pair of black work pants. He was covered in sweat and dirt and he was very muscular. She wondered how tall he was but that was hard to determine in his current position.