Say You Don't Want It

This is a short story with just one part. I might continue on with this couple in a different story but for now, its just a music video pic. The storyline has been changed slightly, things that happen have been taken out or added but the premise is basically the same thing. A couple meets on the streets and roams New York City for the day of their lives. If you enjoyed it please vote or comment. Even if you didn't enjoy it or have criticisms please comment and vote, I really need all the help I can get concerning my writing.

Thanks for reading!

====================================================

                                                      Say You Don’t Want It

The air was filled with every odor imaginable. Feces, pretzels, hot dogs, perfume, leather, you name it, it was in the air creating a nauseating yet tantalizing scent.

Shoes were slung over phone lines and mailboxes were stuffed with old mail. Paint was peeling from mailboxes, buildings, and just about every older surface in the city. Teenagers played ball games on the courts, adults sat on their stoops or the sidewalk reading newspapers or books, pedestrians walked to and from their destinations: the grocery store, work, school. Older people took advantage of the early bird dinner specials at local diners and dives.

A group of five boys, in their early 20s, dressed in all black dress shirts and dress pants made their way through the city taking in these same sights. They were looking for somewhere to stop for the night, their trek through the city over for the day.

At a local carpet store, one of the boys veered off into the carpet store. The rest of the boys acknowledged that he had left within themselves knowing that he’d meet them tomorrow morning.

The boy at the back of the group stopped and looked across the street, casually. He spotted a brown-haired girl dressed in black and a fur mink coat. She sat on an apartment stoop, looking around like a lost puppy.

Without a word to his companions, he walked across the street, regardless of the fact that he was nowhere near a cross walk and there were dozens of cars passing through that street. The other boys watched him but kept walking.

He walked right up to the girl and stood in front of her. She began to back up but he advanced. She attempted to circle around, still facing him, but he followed her. She finally got around him but he just turned to face her.

It was a game to him and even through her frustration, she found it amusing, too. She smiled and laughed along with him.

She laughed as she turned around and walked off. He caught up to her and they walked together her trying to ignore him. He tapped her on the shoulder and she looked at him, shaking her head.

He came around to look at her and smiled in her face. She giggled back and he walked ahead, not looking to see if she was following. A curious look came onto her face as she tried to figure this attractive boy out.

She caught up to him when they neared a convenience store. He went in but she stayed by the entrance warily. She didn’t do convenience stores. The boy walked through and the owner growled at him. He laughed and ran out of the store. The girl watched as he ran, looked into the entrance to see the owner barreling down on her, and took off behind him.

The boy cooled down his run and walked, regaining his breath. The girl walked backwards checking to see if the owner was still chasing them.

Night was falling as they walked to the busier part of the city. They passed many vendors and soon their stomachs were starting to rumble slightly. A pretzel and hotdog vendor was run by a burly smiling black man. His eyes twinkled and he tossed the boy a pretzel.

The boy checked his watch as they walked. he looked up at him, curiously but he just smiled sadly.

They neared a popular hot dog joint were the boys friends hung out constantly. Sure enough they were there, eating their hot dogs, laughing and conversing amongst each other.

The boy walked to his friends, speaking with them for a moment. A silent agreement was reached and then they laughed for a bit more. The girl stood off to the side, not wanting to get too close to the rowdy bunch.

He motioned her to come with his head and she came up, walking warily through the crowd. The guy’s laughed at her shyness and at their friend’s whipped actions as the couple walked off.

The Empire State building loomed in the background as they walked more. They danced and twirled in the streets, the exhilaration of being young making them giddy and hyper. She danced and twirled around and he just laughed.

She was beautiful in ways she couldn’t understand. Her hair flipped and twisted, being tossed and tussled by the wind. The wind chapped her cheeks and lips, making them rosy and pink.

They could both definitely agree that this had been the most fun they’d had in forever.

Jumbotrons perched aface skyscrapers blared with the news and faces of today, lights flashed all about as they danced through the city, holding hands, twirling and laughing.

Lips parted in anticipation, they lean in for a kiss. Their breaths smell of salted pretzel and it mixes with the cold winter air making puffs of air appear before them as they breath in, ready for the impact.

A car horn beeps and they turn their heads to see what the commotion is. A young woman steps out of the car and rushes over to where they stand.

“Emma! We need you on set”, shouts the director, bustling over to where they stand. She grabs Emma’s hand and pulls her to the car.

Emma watches, her head sticking out the window as the director peals away from the curb, leaving the boy and her perfect day behind.

George watches as the car drives off and sighs. He turns around and sees the rest of his band waiting for him.

“Tough break, dude”, says Mark. George’s brother, James, pats him on the back and George shrugs. The band walks to where their tour bus waits to continue their American tour.