Cowboys And Indians

My name is Josephine Clermont. I live with my parents, Governor John Clermont and my mother, Vivian. My father has a young man in line for me to marry, his name is Henry Dumas. Henry is a strikingly handsome man, only but four years older than me. He has blonde hair swept to the side. He wears stylish clothes. Rich looking. He's told my father his occupation is a railroad company associate. His blue eyes are like the ocean, but when he looks at me, something tells me, he is not the man he says to be. I feel I am near a stranger, a liar when I'm near him. I would often sneak away if I could, and listen to stories at night that my mother would tell me about the Indians. And we both well know that my father, and other Caucasian males and some females, do not get along with the red skins. My mother wishes it was not true. That we would all just get along. She would tell me stories about the tribes and their horses how they would paint them and make their own tents and clothing. And how they even speak a different language. My father was downstairs speaking to Henry as my mother told me a story before I was to close my eyes. She tenderly kissed my forehead and left to my door. As she opened it, Henry was standing in the doorway. "Forgive me madam, I was wanting to ask for your permission in giving my bride-yet-to-be, a swell goodnight kiss." He asked of her. Swell. I loathe the word. "Yes, of course. But I must be present." She said. "Of course madam. I wouldn't have it any other way." He said. He entered the room and was approaching me. I wondered where he was going with this. He gently sat beside my body on the bed and leaned down. "I cannot wait until our wedding day my love, your fair beauty will shine brighter than the stars at night." He charmed. He leaned down and tenderly pressed his lips upon my cheek. "Have yourself the most delicate of dreams. Until our eyes meet again." He charmed again. He stood and gently took my hand in his and tenderly kissed the top of it and lied it down carefully then left the room after saying goodnight to my mother. She looked at me before closing the door and blowing out the candles. I blew out my candle at my bedside table. Henry is a charming man most women lush about after. As I fell asleep I had a dream. A dream that I was riding my steed, Sunblade. And we came across natives in their camp. They were all staring at me as I was riding by. "Never mind them. They're nothing." Henry said to me. He took the reins of my horse and was leading me away from them. I looked back, wanting to go to them, but I was refrained. There was nothing I could do. I woke to see it was morning already. I got into my favorite blue dress and ate breakfast, then went outside. Our ranch hand put the blanket, saddle, reins all on my steed Sunblade. I mounted him and rode off. Out into the plains and the trees. I felt most free in the woods. I was making him canter along when a lone wolf came from out of nowhere and spooked him! He reared up and I slipped out of the saddle and fell to the ground. I could hear him galloping away and saw the wolf leap onto me. It tore my dress as I screamed and suddenly an arrow was through it's side. It fell down with cloth from my dress still in it's jaw. I looked again to see two Natives of the Land staring at me. One was taller, short raven dark hair, chocolate eyes and a chiseled jaw. The other was only slightly shorter, midnight hair, kept short as well. His eyes were hazel and he expressed kindness in them. Both were in nearly nothing of clothing. Tan hide cloth was covering their vitals revealing every muscle in their bodies. They were both quite strong. "Yaw ole paiqua." It sounded like the taller one said to the other one. "Unale." The other one said, still staring at me. My leg began to sear with pain and I lifted my dress slightly. The other one squatted by my legs swiftly and touched my hand. I gently took it away and he carefully moved my dress and looked up at the tall one. The tall one nodded and picked up the wolf over his shoulders. "Do you speak English?" I asked them. They looked at me. "What are your names?" I asked them. The taller one gently bowed his head down slightly and placed the tips of his fingers to his chest. "Nizhoni." He said. Tapping his chest twice, then he pointed to the one squatted at my feet. "Pocahontas." He said. I knew that was a female name since the story was told to me by my mom years ago. The one squatted at my feet stood and pushed Nizhoni. "Sacagawea!" Nizhoni said loudly with a laugh. The other one shook his head then helped me to my feet. "Leyti." He said. "Thank you. Leyti." I said gratefully. He lifted me off my feet in his arms and my breath was taken. No man ever swept me off my feet. Together they carried me and the wolf back to their tribal camp. I looked as everyone was staring at me. Women and children, other warriors who came back too with a dear and one with a mountain lion. Nizhoni approached the Chief and spoke in their native tongue to him. I saw his head jerk towards my direction, indicating he was telling him what had happened. Once he stopped speaking her turned and looked at me. The chief was looking at me. He spoke in their Native tongue, sounding a slight bit perturbed. "Neeyawolay!" It sounded like Leyti said. "Woon tay yawah." He added. The Chief huffed and then nodded. "So way saw." He said to him and took me into a teepee. He got down on one knee and lied me on a bear hide inside the ten on the ground. It felt soft. I could hear them all continuing their daily things as if I wasn't even there. "I'll help you." Leyti said. "You speak English." I said surprised. "We all do. We just sometimes choose not to speak it. Be less like the commoners." He said. "Or, white man." He added with a slight smile. "So what was the conversation?" I asked him. "Nizhoni told the Chief what had happened, Chief was worried your people would come find you and infiltrate our camp. I said they won't and I'll take care of you."