Ch1: Memories and Best Friends

A/N: Just so you guys know, Levi's last name is pronounced Kach-ka  (like the ch in "church")

                Scared. That was the first word that came to mind. Okay, maybe not scared exactly. Nervous? Yes. Extremely overjoyed? Definitely! And a little part of my mind was saying I was absolutely terrified. I was terrified of screwing up on my vows, terrified he wouldn’t like my dress, terrified of tripping going down the aisle and messing up my dress. But overruling my terror was my excitement. I was excited to finally be married after months of planning and years of dating. I was excited to see my brothers face when he saw my maid of honor and best friend, his girlfriend, for the first time. But I was most excited to hear the man I love say “I love you” for the first time after being pronounced husband and wife. Just thinking about it made me shiver with excitement as I remembered when he first actually said those three little words to me.

                 I was tired. Exhausted. I had just gotten off of a long day of flying back home to Denver from Poland after nearly eight months away from home, my family, and my boyfriend. I had spent the spring semester of my sophomore year of college studying abroad in Germany and then immediately started my summer internship with Josiah Venture in Poland hosting English camps, serving the missionaries, and creating new friendships.

                It had been an amazing eight months full of experiences and new relationships but I was definitely ready to be home and see everyone face-to-face rather than just over Skype. I had no idea who was going to be picking me up from DIA (Denver International Airport) because it was nearly midnight when I finally disembarked. I expected it to be one or both of my parents or one of my brothers, but I really had no idea. As I walked off the plane I continued talking with the other Colorado intern, Emma, and we made our way to the train that would take us to the main concourse and our families and home. Minutes later we slung our backpacks on our shoulders, got off the train, and headed up the escalator to those awaiting us. We reached the top and, as we stood behind the glass wall separating us and our families, our eyes searched the small crowd for familiar faces.

                Emma nudged me, “Isn’t that the boyfriend you’ve showed me so many pictures of?” she asked, pointing at a tall, thin, but well-built brunette whose hair was starting to get to the point where he would get it cut: a man whose green eyes and bright smile shone as he spotted me looking at him.

“Levi,” I breathed. He was the last person I had expected to see.

                I dropped my backpack right where I was standing and began running towards him as he moved to a spot clear of people to hold his arms open wide. I ran right into them and nearly knocked him over with the force. For a moment we just held each other—not speaking or moving—simply enjoying the comfort of being back in each other’s arms.

“I missed you, Claire,” Levi said into my hair. I smiled into his shoulder and then pulled back to look at him.

“I missed you, too,” I replied. He quickly closed the gap between us and kissed me: short and sweet but long-awaited after the last 8 months.

“You know what I learned while you were away?” Levi asked after pulling apart.

“Hmmm?”

“That I . . . well . . . that I love you, Claire,” he said shyly. I closed my eyes and savored that feeling and those words and smiled before responding. I took my hands and placed them on either side of his face, and then I responded.

“I love you too, Levi.”

                Back in the present, I realized I was staring at my reflection in my old childhood bedroom—having been granted a few minutes of alone-time. I looked at it, considering my reflection. My gorgeous wedding gown (a simple A-line, strapless dress, with a sweetheart neckline and lace) fit me perfectly, just how I wanted it to. My dark hair, partially up, looked wonderful. I reached up with my left hand to brush away a piece of my hair when that hand caught my eye. It was missing its usual rings on its ring finger. I felt like my hand was so bare but I knew it was going to be set right in a matter of hours. One ring would be left off forevermore and the second would soon be joined by another.  Just thinking of that made me remember when he proposed.