I

March 3, 1601 A.D

"Long live the King and Queen!"

The chants of the townspeople echoed throughout the whole kingdom. The normal hustle and bustle in the kingdom was paused as they celebrated. Their raised hands and ecstatic faces albeit smudged with dirt, they were lowlife peasants as the King lovingly labeled them, surrounded the castle. They paid no mind to what they wore or lack of. All that mattered was that they had a new queen. Their "beloved" King had found a new woman to love, to rule with, to manipulate.

I was the lucky girl, handpicked by the king himself. I was his new doll to control, his new bed warmer and puppet. He told me I was lucky that he chose me because if it wasn't for him, I would still be in "those wretched gutters like those other low lives."

Dressed in a white gown tailored by only the best in the kingdom, I stood next to the king. I felt disgusting. It felt like I was some cheap whore sold by my own parents. But, how could I blame them? We were basically like rats that lived in the sewers.

Who in their right mind would refuse his offer?

Before I knew it, the bargain was made. I was to be wed to the king. I wondered so many times why me?

I couldn't help but remember the way his cold and clammy hands caressed my cheeks as he whispered into my ear the very words that trapped me in this hell like dungeon.

"You will be my queen, Nadine. Your body is mine, whore."

I swallowed the bile that had crept up my throat. I forced a smile and turned to the townspeople. How funny it is that their ecstatic screams of celebration mismatched the silent screams of plea within me.

June 7, 1601 A.D

"I present you, sir James, Knight of Xaliber."

There clad in his armor is a man kneeling in front of me. His muscled stature was evident despite his position. His head was bowed and he held his shield and sword. My breath hitched when he brought his face up.

The knight's head was covered with a mass of black locks, curling away from his forehead and temples. His lips was curved into a smug grin. His brown, alluring eyes bore into mine, tempting me, hypnotizing me.

A beautiful man was anointed as my knight. The Queen's Knight. He was to protect me from evil and from "those greedy, filthy peasants." The king's harsh words was like a slap on the face.

I used to be one of them.

How funny is it that instead of feeling like the most beautiful woman in the kingdom, I felt degraded. Even more when I was just a peasant.

My eyes darted back to the man who was supposed to protect me. I looked into his eyes as if I was sending pleas of help.

The only saving I needed was from the man who appointed my Knight.