Peace, Smiles & Cotton Candy 5

NOTE: Here in Australia, school years start in February and end in December, with six weeks holidays in-between. Hopefully that clears up the school references in this chapter, but if you have anymore questions, just ask. :)

This chapter's question: (Pretending that all the planets are safe to survive on;) If you could travel into space and live on any planet for one month, which one would you live on and why? :P

Enjoy! <3

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

(Recap)

   "Fine," I said quietly. "Tell me who it is. I'm not promising anything, though. Don't expect me to say yes to staying with them, because I probably won't."

   "I understand," Cranleigh nodded. "I'm not going to tell you, though. I don't need to. He's going to be here any minute, and I'll let him talk to you himself."

   "He?" I asked, taken aback. "It's a guy?"

   As if on cue, I heard the heavy door behind me open, and a pair of heavy feet took a few loud steps towards me. At first, I didn't want to look at the man, but a sudden look of surprise and horror on Sam's face made me rise to my feet and turn around to face our guest.

   And when I did, my mouth dropped open in complete and utter shock.

*+*+*+*

   "Dad?!" I gasped. I blinked a few times and rubbed my eyes, afraid that they were playing tricks on me and the man in front of me wasn't really my father. It wasn't an illusion, though. Dark hair, thin beard, green eyes exactly like mine; it was definitely him.

   "Bek!" he grinned, rushing forward and pulling me into a tight hug. I didn't hesitate to hug him back, and as I buried my face into his leather jacket, a wave of memories rushed through me. This was my dad. My best friend. After a year of being apart, he was finally back here with me, where my inner child begged for him to be.

   "I've missed you so much," I mumbled into his jacket.

   "I've missed you, too," he said in his normal husky voice. "I never realised how dull life is without you."

   "Me neither." I pulled back and looked at his excited face. "You need a haircut," I pointed out, running my fingers across his curly hair. Even though I was tall, his six-foot-seven frame still towered over me, and I had to stand on my tiptoes to reach him.

   "As do you," he chuckled, looking at my brown waves in wonder. "Keep waiting, and your hair will be longer than you. You should get it cut soon."

   Suddenly, a low, growl-like noise came from behind me. I jumped in surprise; in all the excitement from seeing Dad, I had completely forgotten that we weren't alone in the room. I spun around and came face to face with Sam.

   "Her hair is fine as it is," he said sternly, directing his words at Dad. "And I don't see why you should be giving her directions. You haven't exactly made the best choices in your life."

   "Ah," Dad said thoughtfully, not seeming even the slightest bit phased. "Samuel Knight. Long time no see." He raised an eyebrow and sized Sam up curiously. "Spent a bit of time at the gym, have we?"

   "What are you doing here?" Sam asked in a low voice, ignoring Dad's question. "Have you come to break Bek's heart again?"

   "Sam!" I gasped. "What are you―"

   "I think it's pretty obvious what I'm here for," Dad interrupted me. "Especially since Doctor Bateman must have just explained it all?" He gestured to Cranleigh questioningly without taking his eyes off me, and the doctor gave him a brief nod.