Diary of A Deaf Girl: The Story of My Life

When you see a deaf person, what do you do? Do you laugh, point, feel sorrow, feel bad? How much do you want to bet that the majority of you said either: A.) Laugh/point or B.) Feel sorrow/bad?

Well, if you feel 'A', then you are one cruel person, but I understand, deaf people are quite amusing. But, if your answer was 'B', don't feel sorry, most hearing-impaired can't help it. Like me, for example.                                                    

On December 24, 1994, at eleven fifty-nine P.M., I, Alexandria Grahm, was born deaf. I mean, I guess it could have been worse...I could have been born dead.

Being deaf isn't all that bad. I still have friends. Okay, scratch that. Friend. Her name is Laura. Laura Fields. She's really pretty and has a genuine heart, something that is hard to find now-a-days.

Laura had light brown hair, so light it looked red, and sea-green eyes. She has a natural tan and freckles across her cheeks and nose. Basically, she's beautiful.

I, on the other hand, am a different case. I was pale, extremely pale for a strawberry-blond. Also, I had blue-grey eyes.

I had hearing aides that help me 'hear' rattling beats, which I was placing in my ears at this moment. My hair was in its natural curls, a dark red headband in the middle of my head, pulling my bangs back.

It was hot, like every day in Mississippi, so I was just walking around in my bra and underwear, while trying to decided what to wear.

There were three tops and three bottoms, all tanks and jeans. Holding up a maroon-colored tank top and a pair of dark wash jeans next to my body, I looked in the mirror that stood in front of me.

After approving the outfit, I saw a light flash from my peripheral vision, indicating that someone had opened the door. Turning around, I saw the one and only Laura Fields, standing there with her eyebrows under her bangs.

Are you just waiting for someone to bang you? she signed, her hands moving swiftly as if she's been doing this forever, but only for five years.

Yes, Laura. I am just waiting for someone to take me from behind, I signed back, rolling my eyes to emphasize my sarcasm.

She let out a laugh before going to closet to pick out my shoes. She looked back at me and I held up the shirt. Nodding, she turned back and began going through my seven pairs of shoes.

Sliding on my clothes, I waited, impatiently, for her to give me my shoes. She turned around with a sly smile, holding up knee-high black boots.

I rolled my eyes before taking them away and tucking my pant's leg into them. When I looked up, Laura's hands began to fly.

Spring dance. You, me, Trevor, and whoever asks you. You and I are going shopping next weekend, after we get back from Biloxi. I wonder who's going to ask you. Maybe Randall from science. Or maybe Jackson from English. No! How about-

Laura Taylor Fields, I am not going out with them! I don't even want to go! So please stop! I signed, aggravated.

But-

Sending her a warning glare, she shut up, zipping her lips and throwing away the key.

Dork, I snorted.

Grabbing her arm, I pulled her out of my room and down the stairs into the kitchen. After grabbing a piece of bread and putting it into the toaster, I sat on the counter top, swinging my legs.

Nathaniel's here, Laura told me, pointing right behind me.

Turning aorund, a tan, blond-haired male stood there, smiling at me.

"Hi," I saw his lips move.

"Hi," I responded, talking.

He pointed at the direction of the toaster, signalling that it was done. I jumped off of the counter and sauntered over to the toaster, taking out the toast. After getting the butter and cinnoman-sugar mix out, I dressed the slice of bread, taking a big bite out of it.

I offered Laura some and she took the bread, taking two large bites from it.

Hog! I signed.

She just shrugged and handed it back. Stuffing it into my mouth, I chewed before swallowing. Saftey first, kids.

Laura's eyes widened as she looked at the clock above the stove. She basically shoved me out of the door, not giving me a chance to get a sip of water.

We have five minutes until school and it's a ten minute walk. RUN! she quickly signed, taking off.

With a heavy eye roll, I followed suit, catching up quickly. She smirked and went faster. How the hell could she run in six-inch heels?!

We ran together for two minutes before reaching the school. When we reached the steps, I bent over, trying to catch my breath. Looking to my right, I saw Laura copying my moves.

I shoved her, causing her to fall over. I busted into laughs, not trying to contain my laughter as I saw her face.

She tripped me, causing me to fall on my back as well. She began laughing along with me. People bagan giving us looks. We didn't even care.

Everyone then began walking into the building, leaving us there. Laura and I looked at each other, and I was the first to move my hands.

Every man for himself. RUN!

And there, I began running again, trying to make it to class.