186 - "Behind Her, the Noise Escalated . . ."

<Author's Comments> All thanks go to http://creativewritingprompts.com/ 

Behind her, the noise escalated. She yelped and began to sob. She knew the elevator was going to come. She turned to look at the shining metal doors. The meter above slowed to a stop on number eight. The elevator dinged and the doors slid apart. Out walked the man.

He was different from when she last saw him. He was worse. The man appeared to be weak and dying, his ripped clothes covered in blood and his breath ragged, but she knew better.

She turned on her heel and ran. She knew that he could catch her easily no matter how he appeared, but now there were other workers staring as he stumbled dramatically down the hall. If he showed his true power, people would not forget. The power of witnesses.

She rounded the corner and saw that the hallway was a straight, clean shot towards a large glass window that touched the ceiling and floor. All the doors went to other offices and closets, leading nowhere.

The only way was out.

The power of witnesses made her reluctant to show her true self, but unless she wanted to die, she would have to.

The glass shattered satisfyingly as she burst through. She changed into a diving position and soared down a few levels until she decided to let loose.

The large, feathered wings ripped from her back, stretching out to slow her fall as much as possible. The great things beat at the air to get her moving forward. She had to get away from the building. The man would certainly decide that if she was going all-out, he might as well too.

Sure enough, she could see the being hopping out of the broken window and shimmying along a small ledge. When he could, he hopped down twelve feet to a shorter building that happened to be a bank. A human’s legs would have broken from the impact, but this creature was ready to hop down another twenty feet to the sidewalk.

He thought she was going to land. Ha. Her wings beat at the air as she slowly began to rise, her falling momentum whisked away. She flew higher and higher, then out west towards the docks. She heard the man roar with frustration and rip his wings out. They were dark and tattered -- barely suitable for flying. She knew he didn’t like using them much.

She heard his ragged breathing as he began to catch up with her. He had to beat his wings about three times as fast or he would fall, not to mention the fact that he was trying to catch up to her. That’s when she felt a stabbing pain in her abdomen. She looked down to see that he was a little below her and had thrown a dagger. She pulled the thing out of her and attempted to fling it at him, her body quickly getting weaker. The dagger flew past his head and down to the streets. Losing consciousness, she followed.