Peace, Smiles & Cotton Candy 4

It took another ten minutes, but a proper doctor finally came down to attend to us. She was tall and slim, with bright red hair and thick, pouting lips. She reminded me so much of Loz, a friendly junior girl I had met on the drama camp last year. However, thinking of the disastrous camp sent a pang of sorrow through my body, and I had to work hard to push it away and focus on the matter at hand.

   "Are you here to take me to Mum?" I asked hopefully as soon as the doctor approached our small group. I pulled my hands away from Sam, who had been holding them against his chest in order to stop me from biting my nails nervously.

   "Yes, I am. You must be Rebekah," she smiled. "I'm Doctor Harrison." She held out her hand and I shook it politely, but inwardly I was fuming. Why was she making such small talk? Of course I was Rebekah; who else could I have been? If it wasn't for my relief at finally having a doctor here, I probably would have shouted at her for wasting my time.

   "Yeah, hi," I said hurriedly, though still trying not to seem too pushy. "So, is that why you're here? Can I see my mum now? Heck, why is Mum even in here?!"

   "Everything will be explained soon," Doctor Harrison said calmly. Her casual tone reminded me of Cranleigh, and a small part of me wondered if I could make her crack like I had cracked him. "If you'll just come with me," she smiled, beckoning to us with her thin hands. She spun on her heels and started to walk away, and I didn't hesitate to follow her.

   We walked down the long, busy hallway in silence, and I took the opportunity to scope out my surroundings. I peered into every window, looking out for my mother, but all I was ever greeted with was blank white walls and empty beds. They must not get many people in here, I realised.

   "With all due respect," Cranleigh finally spoke up, falling into step beside the Doctor. "I think it might be better if we tell Rebekah the details now. It'll save time, and he doesn't have all day."

   "Um, excuse me?" I called out, swerving to the side to avoid a passing nurse. "I'm a girl, in case you hadn't noticed. I think you mean SHE."

   Sam noticed my mistake before I did, and he cleared his throat to get my attention. "I don't think he's talking about you, Bek," he said in a low voice.

   I frowned and turned my head to look up at him. "Then who..." Before I could finish my question, Doctor Harrison took a sharp turn around a corner, and we started heading down another hallway. Unlike the last one, though, this one was empty, and I had to listen closely to hear the two doctors' quiet conversation.

   "I think it would be better if we tell her while he's there," Doctor Harrison whispered, keeping her line of sight directly in front of her. "It will be less tense that way."

   Cranleigh scoffed. "It's going to be tense no matter how we do it," he replied pointedly. "May as well just tell her now, so she's prepared."

   "Look, Bateman," Doctor Harrison sighed, slowing to a stop in front of a large door. "I know counseling may be your forté, but in case you haven't noticed, we're not in therapy right now. Just let us do our part, and then you're free to do whatever you wish with her. Alright?"

   Cranleigh eyed her warily for a minute, before shrugging and turning back to face the pale white door. It seemed like he wasn't going to say anything else, but as I closed the distance between us and stood behind him, he muttered, "Your funeral."

   My mouth dropped open in shock. Wow, I gasped inwardly. According to Sam, Cranleigh was one of the best therapists in the business. Why did he seem so unprofessional right now?

   Hoping to make Cranleigh angry, I started to ask that question out loud, but Doctor Harrison quickly interrupted me. "Your mother is pretty stable now," she told me, turning around so she could address me directly. "We've moved her out of the emergency room, but we're keeping her in here to keep an eye on her." She pointed her thumb over her shoulder, towards the door behind her. "Her case is unlike anything we've ever seen, and we don't want to take any risks."