Happiest Day

Happiest Day     {Short Story}

    I laid there totally happy and completely exhausted from the chase. The afternoon sun trickling through the leaves of the trees around us. The perfectly beautiful golds, oranges, and rusts of the autumn leaves that still clung to the trees with their last bit of strength and life. Above my head stood an old stone bench that had broken in half too many years ago. All around me the grass grew tall and wild hiding me from view.

    Glancing over to my right, I intertwined my fingers with the one who had chased after me playfully like he always did when we come here. Though the grass hid his face at the moment, I still saw him. I could hear his ragged breathing and saw in my mind his lips parted so his breathes could leave his body. Those full and soft lips with his strong jaw. His beautiful blue-green eyes closed as he’s still trying to steady himself. Those high cheekbones on his perfect face. The dark tanned skin with his natural blonde frosted hair that fell slightly long along his cheekbones.

    This was our private getaway. Our sanctuary from our families. We had both had problems with our parents and our siblings. He was the eldest and the only boy. I was the only girl and a middle child. Our families never really knew us and there were bets for when we broke up. Well until now. They have given up on trying to break us up and just excepted that we were always together.

    We have been together for the past eight years. Eight amazing years. He was always there when my mother had another boyfriend who that I was free game too. Always there when my father decided that he wanted to be in my life again, though it only lasted for about three to six months. Even always there when my mother’s boyfriends decided they wanted to beat me for denying them.

    I had been there for him too. When his father got drunk calling him names and did terrible things. When his father tried to set fire to his house as his family slept. When his father was taken away and vowed to turn the favor. He and his family had to move, though just down the street so they didn’t have to change schools. I got to help him pack and unpack his stuff.

    Any time we needed to get away and forget the rest of the world, we came here. A place out in the middle of nowhere. A place where we are the only ones to come out and see anymore. My grandparents own this land and said it would be mine someday.

    He shifted onto one elbow and looked at me. His eyes told me he was deep in thought about something, but nothing bad. He moved a strand of my hair away watching the sunlight play with the different colors in my hair. He always said that he loved my hair. He loved how it was blonde, red, and milk chocolate brown all at once. He said that if we could make a paint that was like my hair that we would be rich forever.

    “Kayla? How do you feel about me?” He asked as he stared intently in my eyes.

    I frowned. “You know you are my heart Daniel.”

    The side of his mouth quirked up in the start of one of his brilliant smiles. “Tell me more.” What was he getting at?

    “What do you want me to say? I love you more than life itself. Without you the day means nothing. My world would have no light. No sun. No moon. No stars.” A tear fell from my eye thinking that he might be breaking up with me. We have both finished college now and had our new careers rolling already.

    He caught the tear and brought it to his mouth. He then bent down and kissed me softly and adoringly. “I feel the same way.” He words brushed against my lips as he lifted up from me. He sat up pulling me with him. “Even in this beautiful scenery, you out shine it all.” I blushed at his comment. He can always make me blush at the drop of a dime.

    He sat back on his heels and reached into his coat. “Close your eyes.” He asked as his hand stayed in his coat. I complied as I trusted him completely. He was the most gentle and caring guy I ever known. Its one of the many reasons I was in love with him. That and he was my perfect match in every way.

    He took my hands and placed something in it. Something cold and round. “Kayla? Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?” I eyes shot open. I stared blankly at him not thinking. No comprehending. “Breathe Kayla.” I blink several times then looked down in my hand. There sitting in the palm of my hand was the ring I drew once and said that if ever I was to marry that this would be my engagement ring.

    I closed my hand around the ring and kissed Daniel. “Yes.” My word vibrated his lips every time I repeated it over and over. After we finally stopped kissing, he took my glove off my hand and slipped the ring on my finger kissing it. He has made my life perfect in this one moment.