1

*Prologue*

"Dave are you sure. I mean are you sure sure. Because if you're not sure, then my mom wants me home by six."

"Kevin, for the last time, it will be fine. We'll practically be carried off the court on the football team's shoulders. I'm sure of it."

David was not sure, but he of course would not tell Kevin that. Even after their thirteen-year long friendship, David still felt the need to look good in front of him. Whether that was because of his "masculine pride" or his absolute desire for Kevin's high opinion (or both), the world may never know. Of course this was another crazy idea to impress the football team (so David says, but he really just wants to impress Kevin) that ended in disaster. This ending included Kevin practically carrying David off the court who was whining about his ankle.

"Suck it up you sissy. I told you not to go for it. But what do you do? You go for it. Jesus, how many times do I have to tell you that you can't jump that high."

David mumbled about his pain quietly into Kevin's shoulder as they stepped out into the frosty parking lot to make the journey towards David's old blue Camry.

"It wasn't supposed to go that way." He whispered, his head nuzzled into Kevin's neck.

"Dude I can't hear you. If you're going to complain about your stupid ass injury either say it with meaning or don't say it at all."

Kevin was over it at this point. He loved Dave-he really did- ,but he was sick of all the stupid antics. He was done with having to clean up all the messes. And if there's one thing Dave was good at, it was making messes.

"It wasn't suppose to go that way." David repeated his last statement louder, but directly into his best friend's neck, resulting in his words being just barely audible. It also ticked Keven with every breath he took, making goosebumps spread spread like wildfire down Kevin's dark arms.

"Oh it wasn't? And how was this big elaborate plan supposed to go? Huh? I know you want to impress everyone, but dude, one day you're gonna get seriously fucked up. And maybe I won't be around to help you."

"I don't want to impress everyone." He said, quite pathetically. He completely ignored his friend's empty threat, knowing that he could break every bone in his body and Kevin would still be there spoon-feeding him his dinner.

"Don't bullshit me right now. I've known you for almost 15 years, I know what your motives are. I'm already carrying you to your car and driving you home and listening to you bitch, trust me I know the lengths you'll go to for some attention."

"Well maybe the person I want attention from isn't giving me the kind of attention I want."

Kevin stopped, suddenly even more pissed.
"Jesus Dave! This whole thing is about a crush? Fucking Christ. God damnit Dave! Buy the chick flowers, don't fuck up your important body parts!"

They could see the car. Kevin was silently fuming and he hobbled along with the taller boy draped around his neck. He knew how David worked. He found pick a person that showed any positive character trait, and he'd crush on them. He'd crush hard. He once made Kevin drive him to a theater two hours away just to see Judy Cramer in a low-budget production of Grease.

"I don't think he likes flowers." David knew he dropped a bomb. He also knew that he'd picked a good time to drop it. It was just the two of them and the quiet of the night made it a tad more dramatic. He always loved a bit of dramatic flare.

It was silent for a while after that. The two boys were almost to the car, which in the huge, empty parking lot was parked "almost a fucking mile away." Kevin was processing this new and surprising information while David savored the warmth of Kevin's neck. At this point Kevin was full out dragging David along, which proved to be quite challenging due to the fact that both boys were nearly the same size. While Kevin was a bit more beefed up, David had a few more inches on him. Both boys were in shape, due to staying in volleyball and track for the past eight years. Kevin came up to the height of 5'11 while David reached up to a solid 6'3. David used this as a prime teasing topic, usually commenting that whenever Kevin doesn't achieve something he was just "falling short."

David wasn't worried about his friend's reaction. He knew that he was extremely open-minded and accepting.  He had family members that were gay and his next door neighbors were a lovely couple of old ladies who had been in love for over fifty years. David and Kevin would often brought leftovers to their house after a batch of their famous Dave-tastic cookies.

The silence that continued till they reached the car was not awkward. It was just silent. It was the same silence that the boys have after they finally decide to go to Taco Bell instead of McDonalds after practice. The same silence when Kevin told David about his first kiss when they were ten and the same silence that followed the award ceremony for David's exemplary volleyball skills. It was familiar and comfortable and neither boy was eager to break it.

Kevin finally caved after he struggled to get David in the car.

"That's ridiculous."

David was confused at first, not remembering what he was replying to. He suddenly got really scared as his head snapped to his best friend in the drivers seat.

"W-what, um, what do you mean ridiculous?"

"C'mon man," Kevin started, a grin spreading on his face. "Who doesn't like flowers?"

***********

Hi everyone! This is my first story here on Wattpad, but I'm hoping after reading on this site for over three years, I will be able to produce something a least semi-worthy.

I would really appreciate any votes, comments, or suggestions.
Thanks for reading!