Damsel in Distress - Chapter 1

Warnings: Uncensored language.

--o-o-o--

Chapter 1: Famous Friends and Fashion Drunks

Her pen scratched numbers and symbols across the page, intermittently lifting when she paused in thought. Things were falling into place. A structure was forming in her mind, variables were becoming fixed, and she was this close to coming up with the answer, when --

"I can't believe you're actually working on that question," a half-snort-half-chuckle came from her right.

Alice looked up at the girl sitting beside her, concentration broken. "What?" That was what they were supposed to be doing in math class, wasn't it? She then took a glance at Leila's notebook. While it wasn't completely empty, all Leila had done that period was decorate the page with flowers and stars and hearts. And 'Mrs Kyle Somers' no less than eight times in varying styles of cursive. "Oh, no. Not again," she stared pointedly at the writing.

"Hey, can't a girl dream?" Leila tossed her head defensively.

Alice decided to keep silent about the ethics of dreaming about another friend's boyfriend. This was never an area she was good at. School work, volleyball, photography, movie trivia -- those were things she could handle. Relationship advice and sorting out her friends' constant drama? Hopeless. She would only end up saying the wrong thing.

The bell rang and everyone packed up to leave, heading out to their final class for the afternoon. Leila was up in an instant, and waited impatiently for Alice to finish stuffing her books away -- Leila, after all, didn't carry any books -- and the two of them walked together to French class.

"So, what are you wearing to Danica's party this weekend?" Leila asked. From the excited glint in her eye, Alice could tell Leila was more interested in telling her what she was planning to wear.

"I don't know yet, I'll pick out something on the day," Alice shrugged. "What are you --"

As predicted, Leila jumped at the opportunity. "OK, you know how I went shopping with my sister last Thursday? I got this really cute dress which I'm gonna pair up with my gold strappy sandals. You remember those, right?"

Alice raised an eyebrow. "The ones with the monster heels?"

"Uh huh," Leila giggled.

"You said you could barely walk in them."

Leila waved a hand. "Pshyeah. Not like I'm gonna do a lot of walking at the party. But they make my legs look super long, so..." she smirked, "maybe Kyle will notice. I can't wait 'til Saturday!"

They rounded a corner, and where Alice would usually pass through vacant space, she suddenly hit something solid.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" She stumbled backwards, blinking to reorientate herself. Her eyes sought for the person she'd run into, the person she didn't see coming at all, only to find him crouched on the ground and picking up the papers she dropped. Of course. She had dropped whatever she was holding about the same time her hands came up to brace herself against his chest when they collided. "You don't have to do that, I can --" she almost crashed into him again when she half-started getting down to help while he rose. Their eyes met.

Nick?

Towering over her, he didn't say anything and simply shoved her notes back into her hand.

"Um, thanks."

A barely audible "You're welcome" brushed past her as he walked away, leaving her only able to stare after him in surprise.