World War II Family

World War II Family

            Martha Stuart had just finished his shift at one of the factories down town. She had started working soon after World War II had begun and most of her girl friends worked in other factories up and down the street. Her mother had even began working a factory and the little ones were left at home after they got home from school.

            Martha hurried down the street, knowing the little ones would be hungry and worried if she didn't get back soon. Poor Tommy and Rebecca not knowing if their older brother and their father was coming back from the war. Most of the families had at least one person fighting in the war and everyday there was cries of news reaching another about a death. Martha's best friend John had willing went to join the army and she so hoped that he would come back, but so many were dying everyday.

            Martha would have usually drove around their small little town, but mother had sold the car and now cars were rare. Almost everything was being rationed with so many laborers fighting in the war. Three years into the war tires became the first rationed item, but many things followed like cars, gas, sugar, shoes, bicycles, typewriters, coffee, stoves,  meat, shortenings, oils, cheese, and butter. Martha was worried about what would be the next rationed item.

            Martha entered her house and the little ones came out of hiding and gripped her legs as she walked into the kitchen. “How was your day?” she asked as the pull out a little ham with some bread and placed it on the table. She got three cups and fill them with water from the sink; then she sat down and joined the others for dinner. Her mother would be working late like every other night; so she would have to tuck the little ones in tonight.

            “Ok. Billy up the street got bad news yesterday. His big brother James had been killed,” Tommy answered before he stuck some ham into his mouth.

            “I heard about that,” spoke up Rebecca; then she said, “My friend, Sally, didn't come to school today since her father died yesterday. Why does there have to be so much death in war?”

            “I don't know Rebecca. I don't know,” Martha replied sadly as she handed her pick of ham to Tommy, who gobbled it down happily.

            “Will dad and Charles come back soon?” Tommy asked as he scooted closer to Martha.

            “Tommy. I really don't know. I hope they will be back when the war is over. I just hope the war is over soon,” Martha answered as she hugged Tommy to her chest. “Let's go listen to the radio.”

            The three sat depressed around that old radio and they listened to name after name be mentioned. “Ken Walker. Marshal Roberts. Peter Shoe. John Lacker. And Last Charles Stuart.” Martha quickly turned off the radio and held the little ones close. She couldn't believe it. Neither John or her older brother would be returning. The little ones cried in her arms as she held them closer.

            She carefully picked them up and carried them up the stairs and into their room. She placed them in their beds and covered them with the warm blankets. She kissed their foreheads and turned to leave, but a little voice stopped her. “Charles isn't coming back, is he? Is that why his name was said on the radio?” asked Rebecca and for being only seven she was pretty smart.

            “Yes Rebecca. Charles isn't coming back. He is with God now,” Martha said quietly as she knelt beside Rebecca's bed.

            “But he promised!” Tommy yelled as she heard his bed rock a little.

            “Sometimes we don't have control over if we keep our promises. Sometimes other people get in the way and make us break our promises, but one day Charles will keep his promise when we all go to heaven to be with him,” Martha said as she gently squeezed Tommy's little hand.