Tweak a SciFi short Story

TWEAK

James Love

Copyright 2011 James Love

Smashwords Edition

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each reader. If you’re reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please return to Smashwords.com and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.

Oversized view screens hung everywhere. The technicians floated over their input devices with an air of mystiqueas the evening participants filed into the room. The smiling was overwhelming. It looked like it would be a fantastic day.

"Gentlemen I would like to give you some background details” the moderator said in a soft voice. "The history of this particular planet is not unique. However, the extremes, they've taken it to, are. I'll give you the basic list, and we will come back to the rest a little later."

This presentation deals with the planet Aerrasop in galaxy 1136 19 K 4. The planet seems to have about 100,000 years of evolution for the bipedal. It is safe to say it stagnated for the last 90,000 years. This is a result of the caste system that is in place. The caste system is stringent once born into a caste, there is no way out of it. The caste system breaks down into four separate groups.

Primary caste system or lower caste, approximately 65% of Aerrasop’s population fits into this caste. The Primary Caste is the low-end labor force; they have extreme beliefs in a God system. They always hope to improve themselves but are unaware that there is no way out. Intelligence is very low and kept that way genetically by the Echelon Caste.

Mid Caste system or middle caste, approximately 20% of the population is in this caste. This is the working caste given the ability to make an inadequate living at best. They have minor beliefs in a God system. Most realize that they are stuck in this caste and merely accept their place in life.

Upper caste system, upper caste, approximately 14% of the population fits in this caste.. This is a non-working caste. They are born with money and very few have illusions about the world. They strive to achieve nothing. Their life is a tedious boredom, and the suicide rate is extremely high in this caste.

Echelon caste system or top caste, approximately 1% of the population.. They are a lot more than just the ruling caste. They control absolutely everything and have no moral code to speak of. Every action they take is justified by themselves with no regard for anything. This is the caste system we are going to look at most closely at little later in the presentation.

The caste system on this planet remains entrenched because it is ruled with an iron hand. Most offenses are punishable by death without appeal. From the Echelon Caste down each has jurisdiction over the one below them.

"Gentlemen, I would like everyone to proceed to the meeting room where we can go over and finalize all the details of our current projections."

--------------------------------------

The club appeared lifeless as a few customers meandered about. The bartender polished the same glass for the hundredth time, his boredom an overwhelming force. He looked at the clock. He muttered "another damn hour until the gamblers showed up, this place will never be the same."

Trish, wearing her most provocative tight-fitting clothing, examined her long fingernails and hummed a mindless tune.

The bartender slammed the glass he was holding on the counter. His eyes breathed fire. He shouts "Shut the hell up Trish. Nobody wants to hear that shit from where you used to live. You know you're only here because I pulled some strings, so you better cooperate, or it’s back to the gutters for you.”