Whose Afraid of The Big Bad Wolf

The sounds of heavy footsteps, children talking or shouting, and the occasional teacher yelling or the drop of books sounded through his keen ears. The sounds were unbearable. He couldn’t concentrate while he was walking. Which had caused him to run into something. Or better yet, someone. An interesting someone. He couldn’t hear her footsteps. She was nimble and quiet.

    Well at least that was just her walking style. Her books splattered across the floor causing her to laugh. “I’m sorry! I guess I didn’t see you there!” She was smiling. But why? She wasn’t mad like he’d expected someone would be. Her smile caught his attention. He caught himself staring. It was mesmerizing. He fell to his knees next to her to help her collect her books.

    After they finished collecting them, she held out her hand to introduce herself. “I’m Rebecca Todd. Nice to meet you!” Without realizing it, an actual smile came across his lips. A genuine one. His cerulean hued eyes lit up as he shook her hand. For a girl, she had a strong grip. The two of them stood up.

    “I’m Pete. An' you didn' have to apologize, I was tha' one who ran into you. I’m sorry.” He exclaimed. His manners and deep tone surprised her.

    “Wow. It looks like some people in this school can actually speak correct words!” He was confused. He gave her a look that asked, ’What?’ “Sorry.” She laughed, “A lot of guys, and even girls in this pain of a school can’t speak correctly. It normally drives me crazy!” She laughed once more. It was like music to him. “So are you new here?“ He nodded.

    “Today’s my firs' day. I’ve had a bi' of trouble steerin' my way aroun' this place.”

    “What class are you going to?”

    “Room 117. Ms.Martinez’s Science Pre-ap.” He exclaimed. Even though he thought it was impossible, she became even happier.

    “That’s my next class! I can show you the way!” Her gray eyes shined happily. In fact, the class was actually just around the corner from where they had met. Rebecca began leading the way, maneuvering through the bustling halls. He followed after her, trying his best not to run into anyone again, as the sounds seemed to get louder. His head pounded.

    On the way to the class, Rebecca stopped by the door, next to a woman with lighter brown hair then hers, and glasses. She was smiling too. “You must be Pete! Welcome to my class! I hope you find it enjoyable, and since you seemed to have already made friends with Rebecca, you can sit in the empty chair in her group.” The teacher explained. He assumed she was Ms.Martinez. He nodded and followed after Rebecca as she pointed to the empty seat next to her.

    “This is where you can sit. That’s Brandon, ignore him, he’s the class’ black-market salesman,” she giggled and pointed to the boy in front of him, who had a small afro, and skin just a bit darker then his. “That’s Randy. He’s the short and muscular!” She laughed as Randy made a face and flexed his arms. He sat a table with jokesters. This was going to be interesting. “And this is my friend Rosie.” She pointed to the girl who sat behind Randy. Her hair with even lighter then Ms.Martinez’s but it wasn’t quit blond. She turned around and waved.

    Pete certainly glad that he met Rebecca. Otherwise it would have been rather awkward. “Hi. I’m Pete.” He didn’t want to say his last name, afraid he’d receive looks from everyone. Looks of pity. Pete sat down in his new seat and sat there quietly, waiting for class to start, trying to ignore the yelling from some of the other students.

    He looked over to Rebecca and saw that she was scribbling on a piece of paper, drawing what looked like tables. Better yet, a map of the room. She wrote everyone’s names in the spots that they sat in. It would be easy to read, considering his seat was right in the front of the room, next to the door. “Hey kid! What are you doing in my class!” A squeaky and annoying voice came to his ears. Rebecca looked up from her paper with a peeved look.