The Gift and Curse of Lillian Rose

Prologue:

Hi, I'm Lillian Rose. Lily for short. 2 years ago, I became a mermaid. You might think it's all fun and games, but you are so wrong my friend. Being a mermaid is in fact the complete opposite- most of the time. Whenever you touch or are in water, you transform into a mermaid. When you do so, you're putting yourself AND all other existing mermaids at risk. Also, when you become a mermaid, you are expected to keep it a secret. If you expose mermaid kind to someone who isn't a mermaid, you become one forever. Whether you touch water, or are in water or not. That's a big disadvantage. Imagine how hard it is to keep having a tail from your friends and family! It's not fun. I know I'm making it sound like being a mermaid is complete hell; but it's not...well, not all the time. You can breath under water without having to come up for air, you can swim abnormally fast through the water for a human. It's almost like slicing butter. The best thing of all and my personal favorite aspect of being a mermaid, is you can control water. Whether it's being able to heat water, cool water, or make it move, it's still very cool. Anyways, this is the story about how I got a gift and a curse.

How it happened:

I was swimming in the ocean on summer vacation with my best friend Katie. The sun was shining, the water was warm, it was the perfect day to go to the beach in Tallahasee, Florida. I was floating on my back, my long cherry colored hair swishing through the water with every move I make. My eyes were closed, the emerald green iris' hidden away from the blinding sun. I was listening to Katie tell me about her crush, Josh Reeves.

"Lily, you should have seen it! He was looking right at me!" She said, splashing around the water excitedly, making ripples. I rolled my eyes. Being sixteen years old, boys seemed to be on the minds of most girls my age. 

"He smiled at me too! Lils, he's such a babe." She said. The typical deep blue eyes and blonde hair would make anyone smile at her. She was beautiful. She had a thin build; her face was perfectly shaped. Her nose wasn't too big or small, her eyes weren't too far apart from eachother, her teeth were perfectly straight; making her appeal more to the opposite gender. Me on the other hand, with my cherry hair, emerald eyes, and slightly bigger build just made me stand out. I also think my nose is abnormally large.. and I think other people think the same. 

I smiled a little. "I'm sure it was just as great as you say it is." I said, not really meaning it. Boys were just something small in my life. My priorities were mostly school. My parents want me to get great grades so I can get into a great college and get a great job, and just be...great. I obey them, well...because you're always supposed to obey your parents. Katie went on and on about Josh, and I just listened like the great friend I was.

All of a sudden, one of my legs were pulled underwater. My instant thought was: Shark. I didn't feel any bite marks or sudden pain, so I knew it wasn't the case. Whatever had my leg was dragging me further underwater, now having both of my legs in their hold. I fought, of course. I flailed my arms up and down, trying to get above the water, which suddenly felt chilling to me. I tried kicking as well, which was no use because this thing was strong. I gasped for air, just filling my mouth with salty water. All I heard was muffled noises, but I could make out Katie's voice. She sounded like she was yelling. My eyes were open, but the salty water was making it difficult to keep them that way. I felt a sudden bite. Not too much to make my leg bleed, but just enough to feel it. Slowly, I felt myself losing conscienceness. Then it all went black.

-----------

((A/N: Thank you for reading! If you did. Comments are great appreciated, since this is my first project on wattpad.com. If you find any grammar, spelling, capitilization or puncutation errors, don't hesitate to tell me! I often just type the words up and do a quick skim through, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some. If you liked this... Prologue thing, keep checking back because pretty soon, or maybe sometime in the near future I will be uploading the first chapter in this series of events for Lillian Rose. If you loved this, (I wouldn't be surprised if none of you did) vote for it! Whatever the vote button does... Oh well. I will get used to this sooner or later. (: Suggestions for upcoming chapters would be nice too! I love to hear what other people's opinions are. Good or bad, I don't care! Feedback is appreciated all around. Okay, I think that's pretty much it. Once again, thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed this, and if you didn't, I'm sorry for my terrible excuse of writing.))