Chapter 1: Birth Day (3 months)

"Did you hear?"

"What happened?"

"Joyce didn't make it."

"Oh no, what about the pup?"

"He'll be fine; he just won't have a mother."

"The alpha will take care of him. I'm sure Rose won't mind another son."

***

Xavier stared at the small black pup in his arms. Earlier that day, he had given the boy's mother a proper burial. Joyce was a good woman who his son would never get to know. All she wanted was a pup of her own, but it cost her life.

"Xavier." Rose knelt behind her mate and draped her arms over his shoulders. "I'm going to miss her too." She glanced down at the small pup. "At least we get to keep a small piece of her." She reached down and brushed her finger along the boy's cheek. "What are we going to call him?"

"Titus," answered the alpha. "Joyce had prayed for a son that I would be proud to call mine. He's more than I hoped for."

A soft cry came from the bundle of blankets tucked in a cradle. Rose stood and went to retrieve her pup. She picked up the dark red werewolf and nuzzled his cheek. The five-month-old yelped at his mother and licked her muzzle. Smiling, she carried him over and show Darius his new brother.

The moment he was in reach of the little puppy, he snatched Titus's tail and gave it a yank. Titus's eye burst open, and he started to cry.

Rose sighed and carefully pried Titus's tail out of her son's hand. She held the red pup up to her face. "You're already a handful. You need to be nice to him, Darius. You're a big brother now. I'm expecting you to watch over Titus."

The pup didn't seem too concerned with what his mother was saying, as he wiggled and arched his back while reaching for his little brother.

"Such a naughty boy." She tickled his chest before laying him down and handing him a toy to chew on.

She looked to her mate, who was still gazing down at the small infant. Xavier rocked gently from side to side until the boy fell back asleep.

"Xavier," she touched his shoulder, "you couldn't have known this would happen. We can't change it. Titus is here now, and I think Joyce was happy to get the chance to be a mother, even if it was for a short time."

"She got to hold him," he whispered. "Just for a moment." The black and red werewolf roughly wiped his face. "She loved this boy. She was so happy."

Rose hugged him. "And we will love him. Joyce was my best friend, and it'll be an honor to raise her son with you."

Xavier nodded and took in a calming breath. "What will we tell him, though?"

She kissed the alpha's muzzle. "That is mother loved him. She loved him so much, she gave her life so that he could live."

***

(1 year, 6 months)

"Come here, Titus." Xavier held out his hands to his son.

Titus's tiny hands clung to the ledge, his claws digging into the rock. He reached out for his father and took a wobbly step.

"That's it. Come here."

The thirteen-month-old's tail wagged, and he slowly made his way across the small space between him as his father. Xavier heard his other son coming and quickly snatched the boy before Darius could tackle him. The red pup skidded across the floor and rolled into a pile of furs. His head popped out of him and smiled up at his father.