Naked Lie

Naked Lie

By: ForeverTearDrops

CopyrightsReserved

------

Prologue

___

"You have no idea what you're talking about!" He moved away from me. I couldn't believe that he wouldn't believe me. 

"Yes I do! You played me. This entire thing," he pointed between us. "--it was all a lie, a big fat lie." 

I leaned back. "What, now you're going to call me a big fat liar and throw me in a pool full of blue dye?" I tried to joke but his eyes stayed stone cold. He didn't even smile. 

"You're always joking, Arabelle. Life, us, everything is a joke to you. Can't you just for a second take anything seriously?" 

His words were true. I do take almost everything as a joke. Almost. Never in our time did I think that we were a joke. Never. 

"I am being serious. If that's what it'll take for you to forgive me, I don't care. Do anything," I pleaded.  But he looked at me with disgust. 

But then his face softened, and inside me, something fluttered. "You know something?" I waited. "It's a sad thing." 

I didn't get it. Was this a joke? He can joke and I can't? "What's a sad thing?"

He stepped towards me and I swear I would have jumped on and hugged him to pieces if I didn't hold down those crazy urges. His hand grabbed mine softly and my heart leaped. 

"The fact that life can throw anything at you. When my little brother died, I thought nothing could ever make me happy. I promised myself that I could never be happy without Jaime, I wouldn't smile, I wouldn't laugh, I wouldn't do anything that indulged me. 

"And then you came crashing into my life. You were this loud, obnoxious, strong, funny, pretty girl that made me laugh, made me smile and made me happy; things many people tried and failed at. I thought that you were perfect, that nothing could ever measure up to you. And I still think that. You're not that same girl though." 

I watched the emotion change in his eyes more than once. 

"I realized that you aren't the girl I thought I--" His words faltered. "The girl that I loved." His eyes didn't wander. They looked straight at me, boring into mine. "You were a lie. Something that life threw at me that I didn't want. Something that I thought was there but really wasn't. Everything we shared, it was all a lie." 

His stung more than anything in the world. 

"No, please---"

"I'm not done," he said with no emotion.

What more does he have to say?

"You lied to me knowing how I feel about it. You lied about everything."

I held on to his touch. "No, Lucas. I didn't mean to. I didn't have a choice."

"You had a choice." He seethed through his teeth.

I stared longingly into his eyes, begging him to understand. "I would never do that. You know me."

He scoffed. "No, that's the thing. I don't know you. I don't know anything about you because everything I thought you were, you aren't. You're a lying, heartless, selfish---"

"Lucas, please," I pleaded. I didn't care that my eyes were burning and begging me to let the tears escape; to let the tears flow down my cheeks but I wouldn't let that happen.

"--self-centered, cruel bitch. And you know it." A heavy lump heaved its way up my throat. 

I searched his eyes for anything. I wanted to know this was a dream. That he didn't say any of those things. But I knew that this was reality.  Lucas dropped my hands like a sack of hot potatoes and backed away from me.

"Please Lucas, don't do this." He wasn't showing any emotion. His face was hard, his eyes not telling me whether he was hurt by any of this.

The air around us was getting misty and cold. It wasn't because of the horrible things Lucas had just told me, it was cold because that those things were true.

Everything was true. I lied to him. I hurt him deeply and I didn't care until I got to know him. I didn't care about anything but getting that pay check.

But now I didn't want anything to do with it. I didn't want anything to do with it. 

"Lucas." I called out but it barely came out as a whisper. My voice was cracking and I couldn't keep that lump from burning up my throat. 

I could see his navvy blue t-shirt and his faded jeans in the moonlight. He was leaving me. Lucas was leaving me. 

And it's all my fault. 

I could've said no to the deal. I could've just gone to the Valley Community College instead of thriving on the hopes of going to Stanford. It isn't my fault that I live with the monster of monsters. So, can you blame me for taking the money for the deal? Can you blame me for wanting a better life for myself even if in the midst destroying the best thing that's ever happened to me? Yes, you can blame me.  

You can blame me because I am a lying, heartless, selfish, self-centered, cruel bitch. I'm the one that told the naked lie. 

----

So, what do you guys think? 

Should I continue?