Ocean Blue

Chapter 1

          I walked along the dry path letting thought overtake my mind. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath of the fresh air. I could smell the pine from the trees, the lavender from the flowers, and the ripeness of the stables.

          All of a sudden I was lying on the ground. I opened my eyes and let out a loud laugh. I heard loud foot steps thunder towards me. Of course. My protector. I thought. “Princess!” he yelled as he ran to my side.

          I sat up and shooed him away. “I can stand up on my own, thank you.” He looked at me with a confused look on his face. “I wasn’t watching my steps and I merely tripped. No need to go singing about it.”

          “Bu-“ I cut him off. “I am fine, really.” I let out a loud sigh as I twirled around. “I think I may just go back inside anyway.” I gave him a little curtsey before dashing to the door. I swung it open wide and kept up my quick pase, not bothering to close the door behind me.

          I looked behind me, still running, to see if I had lost the baggage. As I turned back forward I was brought to an abrupt stop. I crashed right into a servant boy. He caught me as I began to fall. As he lifted me up I looked straight into his eyes.

          All of a sudden a strange feeling welted up inside me. “Uhh..” I began. “I am so sorry for running into you like that. I should let you get back to your duties.” I curtsied and began to walk away quickly.

          Before I could get far a hand landed on my shoulder stopping me. I turned to see what it was about. “Forgive me Princess. It was truly my fault for the collision. I am Fane… Prince Fane.” His eyes dashed to mine as he bent down and kissed my hand.

          As you stood once again I hesitantly removed my hand from his. “Pleasure, I am sure.” I stated before turning to retreat. I did not wish to mingle with other royals. The bloodline did not interest me at all.

          As I walked away Fane spoke once more. “I hope to see you again soon.” I turned and gave him a small curtsey before turning the corner and breaking into a fast sprint. I ran all through the castle navigating to my room.

          The castle is so big it is easy to get lost in, even if you lived there. I was on the final stretch to get to my room, but just then I tripped and went hurdling toward the hard marble floor.

          I was bracing myself for the pain and was about to hit the ground when someone leaped over to me catching me right before the ground could.

          I looked up expecting to see William, my protector, holding me. Instead, I was in utter shock when found myself looking Prince Fane in the eyes. He sat down lowering my body next to his. “Forgive me Princess, but you seem to be quite clumsy.”

          I glared at him as I sat up. “What happened to our earlier collision being your fault?” I wasn’t enjoying my constant contact with this Prince. Who was he anyway? I had never heard of Prince Fane before. But to be fare, I never really knew much of this until a few months ago.

          “Well, I may have been lying to you about that one Princess.” I glared at him again. “How do you know who I am anyway?” I really just wanted to change the subject off of my clumsiness.

          He looked at me and let out another chuckle. “Of course you don’t want to talk about your clumsiness.” What was he talking about? I didn’t just say that statement out loud did I? No Of course I didn’t. “I never said that out loud. How did you know that I had thought that?”

          Shocked crossed his face. “No.” he said. “This wasn’t supposed to happen. Not here. Not now. How could it be…you?” I searched his face for any clue about what he was talking about. Why was it that it always worked in the movies? The person would always be able to tell what was wrong just by looking at the guy. Reality is so annoying.

          “What is wrong?” I asked. I was really starting to get annoyed by this Prince. He searched my face. Of course it would work for him! “You need to tell me. Has anything ever happened that you couldn’t explain? Something that shouldn’t be happening? Something that seemed to be out of a fantasy book?”

          Why was he asking me this? What did it matter to him if that ever happened to me? “Trust me!” he said. “It matters!” I was in even mor shock after he said that. It was like he was reading my mind!

“Umm. Well I guess there was that one time…”

“What happened? Tell me!”

“Well, it was when I was little. I got really annoyed because my mommy wouldn’t let go swimming, but she let my older sister. I sat by the pool and pouted and when she walked by the fountain feature on the pool went haywire and squirted her.”

“Ok, ok. Is there anything else?”

“Well, onetime I was so happy and I went outside for a walk because it was a calm day. As soon as I stepped outside there was a huge gulp of wind and it pushed me almost to the beach!”

“Oh no, no, NO! How could this be now. I don’t understand how it could be you. Well, I guess I mean I could…you aren’t very good with your feet.”

          Prince Fane was mumbling to himself now. I sat there as he paced frantically, mumbling gibberish to himself. “Hey.” I said weakly. “Hey!” he still didn’t respod to me. “HEY!” finally he turned and looked at me.

          “Would you mind explaining what the hell is going on?” He waved my question away. “No time right now, Princess. But you must come with me.” I shook my head. He grabbed my arm and practically dragged me through the castle.

          I was tripping over my feet trying to keep up. He burst through a pair of grand double doors. He was just barging into my father’s study, the King’s study. My father looked up at us and quickly glanced from me to Prince Fane.

          Nervousness filled my father’s features. “You are sure? My AnnaBelle?” Fane nodded and my father got up and quickly came to me. “I have always loved you and I always will. I do not know when I will see you next, but just remember my voice is just a thought away.”

          And with that he gave me a wink and Prince Fane dragged me off again. He was making a beeline towards the ocean. Once we were on the shore he began to strip his clothing until he was just in his boxers.

          “Well, are you undressing or what?” I just stood there and looked at him, lost for words. “Never,: I began. “In all my years have I ever been disrespected like this before. You tell me to undress for you after you pull me away from my castle? How in the wor-“

          All of a sudden I couldn’t speak anymore. It was like my lips were glued shut. Prince Fane came over to me and harshly shed my clothing until I was just in my undergarments.

          Well that power sure does come in handy. I just looked at him, confused. He chuckled and said. “Ready for a little swim?” before pulling me into the water, deeper and deeper until I was sure he had just drown me.