The Protector.

Most of us are lucky. When you think about it, we’ve beaten millions of other sperm in getting to the egg, we survived the gestation period of nine months, we’ve lived without any major or serious accidents. How many children are killed a year from accidents? Falling down the stairs, Falling into a pool, Eating something that shouldn’t be eaten, car accidents. Then, we reach adulthood and there are still any number of things that can happen, but they don’t. We live long and healthy lives, purely because we are lucky.

But I intend to increase my luck. I want to be luckier than some. I want that car, hurtling towards me, to miss and hit some other poor schlub instead. I want to almost fall, but grab the railings and save myself. I don’t want to die, no one does. I’m just willing to do whatever is necessary to prevent my death.

I’ve been experimenting for years now at this point and I think I’m pretty close to achieving it, a protector. When I first started there were a large number of failures, it was off-putting, I came close to giving up a few times but now, now I’m getting closer. I can feel it.

The first one I created was hideous, it could barely move, screaming in pain. I had gotten the basic shape of a human right at least,but the creature could only writhe. It was covered in some kind of viscous mucous, its eyes were milky white, it was blind. It lay screaming in my basement for three whole days. There was nothing I could do to kill it. It lashed out wildly whenever I approached. Why should I risk myself? After it died I had to gather it up to bury it in the back garden. It was quite unpleasant. The smell wouldn’t leave my skin for days. Its body squished and oozed when I tried to carry it. Eventually it was buried, and soon four more joined it. Each one had something wrong, all each one could do was scream in agony. Despite these failures I knew I must press on. I must finish what I started.

I took a break, from trying to create them, and I built a sub basement. The creatures decomposed quickly, something I found out after I had tried to keep the fifth one around for dissection. After three days, its skin became crumbly in texture, its smell turned to that of deep rich soil. I know that the soil is full of nutrients because of my back garden. I didn’t think of it at the time, but it seemed so obvious when I realised it. Where the others were buried were full of blooming flowers, the entire garden was flowering of course, but the plants over their graves seemed to have longer stalks, brighter colours. They were full of life.

I installed a trap door in the floor of the basement, whenever a creature didn’t work out, it could be easily disposed of. Then, when it had decomposed, I could shovel it into buckets and carry it outside, or I could leave it down there. The possibilities were endless. Really, I did consider making faulty creatures just so they would die, then I could sell the soil off to gardeners. It would have been the best soil in the world. I would make millions, but what would I do when production needed to increase? I couldn’t have too many people involved, it would get messy. Besides, it was difficult for me to conjure these things, it takes a lot out of you. I couldn’t make more than three a week without being severely tired.

I had everything set up, I could try to conjure a protector and, if the creature wasn’t up to scratch. I could simply dump them in the subbasement. The noise of them falling wasn’t pleasant, there was a horrible crunching noise. Still it was better than them lying in the basement, screaming. No one could hear them from the sub-basement. Not even me.

There was one time when I thought I had done it, created a protector, but I was wrong. It was able to stand, and walk for a little bit, but something inside it was wrong and soon it was reduced to nothing but a writhing ball of flesh. According to the books, once created, I can assign a protector to almost anyone if I wish. Maybe, when I have my own I can create a few more and sell them off. Once I’ve perfected it, it should be no bother creating more. I have looked up why other people don’t do this, it’s because they can’t stomach what I can. I can get through the screams and writhing, they couldn’t. Most people could only attempt one or two before they gave up. It will be worth it though.