Prologue - Cherries

(Edit: Hey guys, thank-you so much for coming to take a look at my story - I am constantly going back and editing things, but I wanted to say please if you want to enjoy this chapter more, listen to the BEAUTIFUL music I have included on the side, Shadow - thanks and I hope you like it!)

Prologue - Cherries

Traitor. She couldn’t believe it. The one person she had relied on for so many years... it was his fault she had ended up here.

The straps held her tightly down to the bed, and she wriggled to try and free herself – but it was to no avail. The man who had come and tightened the straps seemed emotionless, dressed in a long, white coat with no expression. She had begged and pleaded that she wasn’t crazy and that this was all a big mistake, but they simply smiled their fake, plastic smiles and ignored her.

Hee, hee.

‘Eh?’ She yelped, ‘who’s there?’

She couldn’t turn her head far enough to see if anybody else was in the room, but that giggling would not stop. The giggling grew closer and closer until someone leaned over her bed. It was a girl with short, blonde hair, and a bandage around the right side of her face. The bandage was stained a dark shade of red. The girl on the bed glanced at the door – the room was so secure she doubted anyone could find their way in.

‘How did you...’

‘I snuck in when they came to put you to bed.’

‘Oh. Ok.’

‘They strapped you in, did they?’ The blonde girl asked, a huge, unnerving grin on her face.

‘Yes,’ the dark-haired girl answered quietly, ‘but you could have known that without asking.’

‘Do you think you deserve to be strapped in?’

‘No. This is all a big mistake. Papa’s going to come and get me, and take me home soon. Either that or this is a bad dream and I’ll wake up sooner or later.’

The bandaged girl studied her with curiosity for a moment.

‘I don’t think I deserve to be here either,’ she said slowly, ‘but I know that this isn’t a dream.’

‘How long have you been here?’

‘I’m not sure. A month at the most.’

‘When do you think they’ll let us out?’

‘What do you think?’

‘I don’t know what to think.’

The blonde girl hesitated. She then reached out to grab a fistful of the other girl’s long, glossy raven-black hair.

‘It’s so dark,’ she whispered, smiling again, ‘like the sweeter cherries. Did you know that? That the darker cherries taste sweeter than the lighter ones?’

The girl on the bed frowned.

‘No. I didn’t.’

‘My hair’s really pale compared to yours,’ the blonde girl continued, a dangerous glint creeping into her one revealed eye, ‘so that must mean that you’re sweeter than me, right?’

‘I don’t know.’

Neither of the girls spoke for about five minutes, but maintained eye contact.

‘Did somebody send you here?’ The blonde girl broke the silence, letting go of the other girl’s hair, ‘without you wanting to?’

‘Yeah,’ the black-haired girl said quietly, her eyes brimming with tears.

‘Why are you crying?’

‘I’m not crying.’

‘You’re not allowed to cry here,’ the fair haired girl said, making her voice low like a man’s, ‘that’s what the men in the white coats always tell me. They say that I’m not allowed to be sad, because then I’ll hurt myself, and that wouldn’t be any good.’

‘Were you sent here by somebody?’

The blonde girl hesitated, as if wondering whether she should tell the black-haired girl something or not. From the expression on her face, it looked as if she had chosen to hide something. She reached under her blonde hair as if to scratch the bandaged area of her face, then winced in pain and drew her hand quickly away. ‘No. My family are all dead – I was sent here because doctors thought I needed to be here.’

‘Oh. That’s annoying.’

‘Yeah. It’s annoying,’ the blonde girl smiled faintly, ‘well, I should go back to my room or I’ll get told off.’

‘You’re right. If I want to find you, to talk to you again, what’s your name?’ The girl on the bed asked quietly.

 ‘I can’t remember right now. When I remember I’ll tell you. What’s yours? Or have you forgotten too?’ The girl giggled.

The girl sighed and closed her eyes.

‘My name,’ her eyes opened again slowly, and stared up at the ceiling, ‘it’s Adelaide. Let me know when you remember yours.’