A star in the night

As the sky lit up private Eric froze. The trees around him illuminated in a ghostly red glow. The flair was to mark enemy movement, the overwhelming darkness crept back over the forest. Ten seconds past...and then twenty. A sigh of relief crept from his lungs.

To the left something stirred, crouching behind a stump Eric scanned the trees. Nothing, its nothing at all, I need to get the hell out of here my mind is playing tricks on me. Without warning shots rang out to his rear, instinct compelled him to dive to the ground. Looking for the muzzle flashes that would mark his foes Eric returned fire. Dread filled his heart as the flashes grew to such numbers they were uncountable.

Panicking he ceased fire in the hopes to confused the V.C. The forest grew so quiet that the crawling of insects was audible.

Twenty feet in front of him voices broke the hellish silence. Movement. The forest seemed to come alive with movement! They were looking for him, surly to claim his possessions as a prize. Now only ten feet away a twig breaks. A boy no older then fifteen stands in front of him, gun shaking and face wrought with terror.

He hasnt' seen me yet. Please God don't let him see me. The boy walks closer eyes shifting uneasily. The boy was so close now Eric could reach and touch the boys feet. Taking a few more steps the boy stepped on Erics arm and fell. Yells rang out all around him no doubt inquiring after the boy, but Eric was to fast, quickly he pressed his rifle to the boy. He froze and let out a faint wimpier. After a second the boy seemed to realize he was being spared. The boy called out to his comrades in what Eric hoped was the “all clear” the boy stood up and walked away slowly and never looking back.

Nothing....five minutes passed before Eric dared breath out loud. Tears streamed steadily from his eyes and he knew he was alone. Alone and on deaths door   

Thinking about turning this into a story please leave me feedback so i can get more of an idea on how to shape the book =) thanks