Chapter 17

Once I got out of the Ancient Hall, I started to run out of the Ultara campus and into the wood. I didn't know where I was heading, but when I was sure, I was out of anyone's sight, I sprinted up like a cheetah. Suddenly all the trees faded into blurry walls on either side of me.

The blinding sunlight no longer stung my eyes as it seemed to have less effect now, or maybe the high pressure of my emotional wrench made me reject the pain. I felt numb all over as hot air hit my face and dried away my tears. I wanted to keep running like that until I reach the edge of the universe. This world didn't belong to me.

Suddenly, there were two strong arms grabbed me by the waist, pulling my body to a stop, but the gravity took its course, and we both fell to the ground, rolling ourselves over the grass and dry leaves. As the falling momentum stopped, I turned myself around to see a beautiful face just above mine. Her silky hair flew over my shoulders. I looked into those gorgeous light-brown eyes with traces of greenish blue. For a moment, I was locked in a mental cage of that person.

"Where do you think you're you going?" Octavia's golden voice spoke. I struggled to get her hands off me, besides it wasn't appropriate to stay in this position. Doesn't she have any sense of private space? Without looking, I could tell my plaid skirt was lifted up, baring my legs in plain sight. On top of that, Octavia's body was right in between them.

"Are you happy now?" I managed to yell at her, still annoyed with the interruption. "Just let me go!"

"No! I won't let you go anywhere without me," she snapped.

"You don't own me, Octavia!" I said. "You don't understand."

"You think it doesn't hurt me?" she said. "I've lost someone I love too."

I felt my hot tears rolling out of the corner of my eyes. "I just want to escape from everything, I can't-"

But Octavia cut me off with a kiss. Her perfect scented lips on mine made my head spin. Butterflies roamed in my stomach. My heart drummed against my chest. Under normal circumstance, I would have pushed her away, but this time, I felt something different. Octavia's kiss was more gentle as if she was pleading with me, begging me with her most honest touch. I felt my heart slowly melt. My body softened under her grip. Octavia deepened the kiss, tilting her head to slip her tongue inside my mouth. And I let her in, allowing the soft silky touch of her delicious lips to take my pain away.

We kissed for a while, and then she broke off, panting as hard as I was. We both stared at each other for a long moment before Octavia finally let go of me. We sat up, facing each other. I wiped the tears from my face with my sleeve. Octavia pulled a handkerchief out of her skirt pocket and helped clean the dirt on my cheeks. I couldn't take my eyes off of her angelic face as she did that.

"You look like something the cat dragged in," she said with a small smile. I stared at her lips. For that moment, I wanted to taste her again. Octavia moved on to pick the dead leaves out of my hair. She was grooming me. But her gentle fingers seemed to brush through each strand of my hair and lingered there longer than necessary as if she was playing with it. I looked up at her and saw the same trance-like expression on her face.

"Octavia?" I asked.

"Your hair," she just said softly, sounded like she was in a daze.

"More leaves?" I asked, starting to comb it with my fingers.

"No," she shook her head, "It just...comes alive in my hand."

And her honest words turned my bones to jelly. She looked me in the eyes again, but I dropped my gaze to the ground from shyness. Then I caught sight of her perfect lips curved up at the corners.

"I have something to show you," she said and stood with her hand holding out to me, I looked up with a frown, but I timidly took it. Octavia's hand was too beautiful to hold. I almost felt self-conscious with her flawless fingers wrapping around mine.

Then we started to walk, not back, but further into the wood, following an unkempt privet hedge. We didn't say anything and just walked like that. A moment later, we came to the outskirt of the Ultara campus. In front of us, there was an old steel door as if there was another hidden place on the other side. I looked at the green moist covered the walls. Ivy leaves hung thickly over it. The rest of the stone wall was also covered with green moist and wild orchards.

Octavia stepped forward and put her hand on the rusty doorknob. She turned and pushed it carefully so that nothing would break on her way in. Despite the fact that I had been around the Ultara Academy for ages, I still didn't know that there were some mysterious spots in the school that left undiscovered.

Octavia beckoned for me to follow her, so I did. Ducking my head from the ivy plants around the door frame, I finally got inside. I realized it was an abandoned garden. A mountain view with a beautiful river at the distance.

"Wow," I breathed, looking at the place with wide eyes. Octavia's face was also animated at the sight.

"I've found this place a few days ago," she told me. "It seems like no one had been here for a long time." We started to walk further into the center of this seemingly strange and beautiful garden.

On the way, Octavia kept pointing to flowers and plants, telling me their names. Some were ready to grow as soon as their seeds touch the ground, some needed less sunlight, some needed more. Not that I was a terrible girl who didn't know a thing about flowers, but her knowledge of nature just put me to shame. There was a broken marble fountain with beautiful lotus flowers growing from its clear water.

As we walked, dry leaves rustled in the breeze while flowers swayed from the trees. Then Octavia stopped and turned her perfect torso sideways to me.

"Be still," she whispered and then pulled something out of her pocket. It was a small shiny reed pipe. She licked her lips before starting to blow on her delicate instrument. Then the most beautiful and melodious sounds echoing throughout the forest.

I couldn't quite catch my breath as I was listening to the song. It was stunningly beautiful as though it was played by a musical goddess. Then I noticed the sounds on a tree trunk beside me, there was a brown squirrel clinging and watching us. From behind a tree branch, I saw a sparrow stretching its delicate neck to peep out. Even closer to my feet, a couple of rabbits sniffing with their noses and ears high up as if they were also listening to the song. And when I looked up, little birds were circling over the blue sky. I tried not to move a muscle, fearing that I might startle the animals. They appeared to us just out of nowhere, all of them seemed to be captivated by the summoning music coming from Octavia's delicate flute.

After the melodious tones ended, Octavia exhaled. Then she moved toward me. She held her hands up and gently brought them to my cheeks. I was perfectly motionless but every cell in my body was prickling and dancing.

"Feeling better?" she asked in a whisper. I thought people who could charm animals only existed in fantasies or some Greek myths. But standing here, staring at her beautiful face, I realized Octavia was special.