The Pearl

.oOo.____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo.
Bedtime Story
.1/4B – "The Pearl".
By DamageCtrl
*All Standard Disclaimers Apply: I do not own anything other than the plot. Even then, it's not that creative.
.oOo.____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo."Is this really necessary?" a small yellow lizard-like thing with a tuff of golden blond hair asked as he sat down beside a figure crouched behind a bush. "I mean, you were the one who started intercepting his ships."

The figure wrapped in a worn brown cloak shot a glare at the little dragon. "It's his fault for trying to lock me out of trade! If anyone started this, it's that blasted idiot Antonio!"

The lizard wrinkled his snout. "I thought it's King Antonio."

"I don't care what his title is, Alfred! Just shut up and let me do what I came here to do!" the blond beneath the cloak bristled.

Two claws rose in self-defense. "Okay, okay..., geez, Arthur," Alfred blew a string of smoke into the air. "You've been so sensitive ever since he beat your army."

"He didn't just beat my army, you nitwit," Arthur grumbled as he peered through the branches and leaves. "He decimated all the fairy folk and warriors and...oh, God...what he bloody did to the unicorns! I will never forgive him!" the bushy browed man seethed.

"So...to pay him back, you've snuck into his kingdom to...?" Alfred trailed off questioningly.

"Find his weakness!" Arthur snapped. "God, you'd think you'd listen."

"I'd listen if you weren't so boring."

"Why did you even come?" Arthur hissed.

"It was either that or stay with my brother...," Alfred said as he rolled on to his feet and stumbled into a standing position. "If you're just going to sit here and watch him, I'm going to take a look around."

"Fine, just keep a low profile and stay hidden," Arthur waved his hand blindly behind him as he returned to peering through the bushes, at the large stone castle lying in front of him. He heard Alfred wander off, but kept his eyes on the building. It had been rather easy sneaking into Antonio's kingdom and almost as easy getting into the King's Forest behind the castle. It was like the idiot was so confident that he didn't bother protecting himself. "Hmph...," Arthur snorted to himself. "Fool...."

Sooner or later, if his earlier research had proven correct, Antonio and his favorite man-servant, Lovino, would come out to tend to his garden of tomatoes. Arthur had situated himself in what he deemed was the perfect place to observe the garden. From there, he could see the gate from the inner courtyard, the pathway, the tomato garden, and several rows of chili plants and banana trees. That was a rather odd mix, but Antonio was a rather odd man.

All Arthur had to do now was remain hidden and wait to find out Antonio's weakness. He had learned that it apparently was not tomatoes as he had earlier thought.

Alfred hadn't been gone for more than an hour when Arthur heard his voice. "Okay, okay! Now watch this!"

The blond perked up as he heard the familiar roar of flames, signaling that Alfred was using his fire breath, and then clapping and...giggling?

Silently, Arthur swore to himself. "What is that mindless git...," the blond grumbled as he tightened his cloak around himself and proceeded to leave his spot to find and silence his would be dragon servant. He tugged the hood up over his head.

He made it just through a break of trees before his jaw fell at the sight. Alfred was on his back, his chubby arms and legs flailing as a little human girl just a little taller than him scratched his belly while he laughed.

"Do it again, Alfred! Do it again!" she urged.

The little dragon laughed and held his claws up to stop her. "Stop tickling me first!"

"But you're cute when you're laughing!" she beamed. Arthur squinted his eyes. She seemed like a girl from a well-to-do family from her finely embroidered dress. Her dark hair was messy, but it was probably because she had been running around. Her skin was a well tanned color and her cheeks her flushed red.

Unfortunately, her partially swollen eyes were red as well. She had been crying.

"Do you feel better, Maria?" Alfred asked as the little girl drew her hands back. She nodded and offered him a warm smile.

"Yep, thank you!" she told him.

Arthur rolled his eyes. Wonderful. His dragon servant made a new friend. While they were off spying on the enemy king. Why couldn't he have brought quiet and diligent Matthew?

"Oh, there's my boss!" Again, Arthur swore to himself. He could already see two pairs of large eyes looking at him from where he was standing in the shadow of a tree. "Arthur! Arthur, come here!"

Who the hell did the dragon think he was ordering him around? He gritted his teeth and put on his most stern frown as he stomped forward. "Alfred, what did I tell you about-"

"This is Maria!" Alfred introduced his new friend proudly. "I'm trying to make her feel better because she was sad."

Guilt struck the man and he mentally groaned. He didn't need this.

"Hello," Maria greeted shyly. She gave him as respectful a bow as she could without looking too afraid of him. He had to give her credit for trying. "My name is Maria. What is your name, sir?"

Clearly, saying 'Arthur, King of Britannia' would've been a mistake. "Arthur is fine," he told her curtly. He felt a nudge on his leg and saw Alfred elbowing him expectantly. The green-eyed man rolled his eyes. "It is a pleasure to meet you," he added lamely.

"The same, sir."

Then there was a moment of silence. Arthur shifted in his space uncomfortably under the gaze of an innocent child, especially when his reasons for being there were not so innocent. He could've killed her and gotten it over with, but he balked at the though. He was not some demonic monster that would slaughter a poor little girl.

"So...er...Maria," he began awkwardly. "What brings you out here this fine day?"

Almost immediately, her eyes began to water and her lower lip began to tremble. Arthur shot back a step, looking horrified as the child threatened to cry.

"It's Papa!" she choked out as her small, pudgy hands gripped the material of her dress. "He's sending my brother away!"

Arthur's eyes darted around, desperately looking for a way to escape. Before he could find out, Alfred elbowed him again and threw him a narrowed glare. For a moment, Arthur glared back in retaliation.

"And...may I ask...why he is sending your brother away?" Arthur asked behind gritted teeth as he turned his attention back to the tearful child.

"He said it's so Nueva will learn and grow up," Maria stammered. She hiccupped. "But I don't want Nueva to leave! I'll be lonely!"

Alfred was nodding his head in sympathy. Arthur was growing increasingly uncomfortable. "Well...you know...it is perfectly natural for a young man to go and learn a trade," he offered. "It builds character...and...uh...skill. I'm sure your...Nueva, is it?" She nodded. "Yes, Nueva will enjoy himself immensely. Why, when I was a young lad, I went off from home at a ripe age, as well, and look how fine I turned out!"

She sniffled. "How long were you gone?" Maria asked weakly.

"Huh...," Arthur rubbed his chin. "Come to think of it, I never returned home."

Maria's brown orbs went wide. "Wahhhhhh!!!!" she cried, piercing the air around them.

Alfred narrowed his blue eyes and kicked his boss in the shins. "Way to go, Arthur!" he growled. He quickly turned to the sobbing child who had collapsed to her knees and was rubbing her eyes profusely. "Don't cry, Maria! Don't cry! I'm sure your brother will come back! In fact, I'm certain he will!"

"But I'll miss him!" The child sobbed. "Everyone is too busy to play with me! Papa is too busy and his servant is boring and kind of grumpy....Only Nueva plays with me!"

"Then, why don't we give you something to play with while your brother is gone?" Alfred offered hopefully as he held her hand. "How about a toy? Arthur can give you a toy!"

"I can?" Arthur asked as he raised an eyebrow. Alfred shot him another glare. "I mean...," the man said as he lifted his hand and tugged on the collar of his cloak. He offered the child a faltering smile. "Of course, I can," he assured her. "In fact, I can make you one. Right now," he said with a firm nod of his head. "I know a little magic...I'm sure I can come up with something," he told her.

"See, Maria?" Alfred said as he nuzzled his head against hers comfortingly. "What do you say?"

"Anything you want, my dear," Arthur encouraged. "A dollie, perhaps? An embroidery kit? I'm particular to lace, myself, but really, it's up to you."

"An embroidery kit?" Alfred shook his head. He sighed and looked back at Maria encouragingly. "Come on, Maria. Tell him what you like."

The girl choked back her cries and tried to concentrate. "What I'd like...?" she whimpered out. "I like...bubbles."

Arthur stared at her dumbly. "Bubbles," he stated tonelessly. "You want...bubbles?"

Maria nodded. "I like marbles, too."

"I'm offering you any toy you want and you want marbles?" Arthur furrowed his brow. "What a strange child you are...." He mumbled. He took a deep breath. "I'll do you one better, Maria. Now, watch closely."

She nodded her head and obediently remained in her seat. Alfred plopped into place beside her. Arthur made a show of finding the 'perfect' rock. He clasped it in between his hands and while it was covered, held it in front of her.

"And blow on my hands," he instructed. Maria took a deep breath and blew a soft stream of warm air against his pale hands. When she was done, Arthur counted to three. "One...two...three! Ta-da!" He lifted one hand off the other and revealed a smooth, glistening sphere that was tinted with white and blue.

"It's a pearl!" Maria clapped her hands together excitedly. "You can do magic! You're amazing!"

"Well, I don't like to brag...but yes, I do suppose I am," Arthur chuckled to himself proudly as he placed the small object into her little hands. "Do you like it?"

"Yes!"

"It is yours."

"Really?!" Wide brown eyes looked up at him. "Thank you!" Alright, he had to admit. She was adorable.

"Err...you know," he said. "It's quite a tiny object. You may lose it." Her smile fell. "I have just the thing," he offered. He bent down and grabbed a strand of hair from Alfred's head.

"What are you...ow!" The little golden dragon puffed out some smoke as Arthur plucked a strand of hair from him.

"Now, let's have you give this a tap," he said as he held it the strand in his fist. Maria tapped the back of his hand with her finger. "Now count..."

"Uno dos tres!" she beamed. Arthur chuckled. He turned his hand right side up and uncurled his fingers. A thin, golden strand of chain replaced Alfred's hair. The child's eyes widened.

"So you do not lose it, we shall put the two together," he said as he placed the chain her hand and them clasped her hands with both items together. "One...two..."

"Three!" she said. She opened her hands and found the pearl hanging from the necklace. "Wow!"

"Now, it's not quite a marble and you can't exactly play with it," Arthur said. "But you had a nice time with us, didn't you?"

"I did!" Maria nodded.

"And you had a nice time with Alfred?"

"Yep!" Maria said as she threw her arms around the golden dragon and hugged him. "I love Alfred!"

The golden dragon blushed. Arthur chuckled. "Well, then, when you're feeling sad or lonely, that necklace will remind you of today and of Alfred."

Maria nodded. She opened her mouth to thank Arthur once more when another voice filled the area.

"Maria!" it was a little boy's voice. "Pequeña!? Where are you!? Papa is panicking!"

"That's Nueva!" Maria gasped as she brought her hands to her mouth.

"I believe it is time for you to go home, my dear," Arthur said thoughtfully. "Your brother and father are awaiting."

Maria hesitated. She looked at them. "Will I see you two again?"

"Perhaps one day," Arthur tried his best to lie to her. Maria beamed. She scrambled to her feet and gave Alfred a hug.

"Bye, Alfred! Thank you for cheering me up!" she said before placing a sloppy kiss on his snout. The golden dragon tinted pink. She rushed over to Arthur and waved for him to bend down. Curiously, the rival ruler bent down to her height. He felt a sloppy kiss on his cheek. "Thank you, Arthur! I won't forget you!"

With a warm smile and a wave, Maria dashed back into the forest, towards the sound of the voice calling for her.

Arthur remained frozen in place, his eyes wide. He'd never been kissed by a girl who wasn't his mother. The first girl to kiss him was a child...

"Your face is red."

"Shut up, Alfred."

The little dragon chuckled. "So...are we still going to wait for King Antonio?"

The red-faced man turned away and tried to cover his expression with his cloak's hood. "It's late," he reasoned pathetically. "We should get back."

Alfred grinned as they turned their back to the castle and began walking through a dark hole. They didn't see the little girl they had just been talking to run up to a young man or the brown-haired royal running up to her. They didn't hear him yelling with relief. "Mi princesa! You're safe!"

Alfred just smirked. "You big softie."

"Shut up, Alfred."

.oOo.____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo.Twelve Years Later, in Britannia...

"Shut up, Alfred!"

"I'm just saying," the large, golden dragon replied lazily from where he laid with his neck and head in the kitchen while the rest of his massive body was sprawled outside, in the courtyard. "He does have a formidable armada."

"I could've had him this time, but he knew where were!" Arthur seethed as he paced the kitchen with a wooden bowl and spoon in his hands. He furiously mixed the scone dough inside the bowl, as if to relieve his stress. "If there was only some way I could look into that pedophile king's mind and figure out a way to cripple him!"

Alfred bit into a long baguette. "Yeah, too bad you don't have a spy or something," the beast shrugged. "Or some way to look into his castle. Can't you find a spell for that or something?"

"Oh, what good would that do?" Arthur grumbled. "I'd need a rock from his territory to turn into a pearl that I can place inside the castle or better yet, on his wife's necklace. If he even had a wife...." He added under his breath. "That would be a prime way to have it moved around to private locations. That's how I spy on Austria."

Alfred tilted his head to the side curiously. "You spy on Austria and Hungary?"

"That's not the point, Alfred!" Arthur snapped. He slammed his wooden bowl on the table. "The point is that Antonio's heightened security and we can't get close to his borders without knowing where his men are stationed!"

Alfred nodded his head. He swallowed the rest of the baguette and began to pull his neck out of the kitchen. "Too bad the necklace you gave Maria can't do that," Alfred shrugged. "She looked like she lived near the castle or was a courtier's daughter or something."

Arthur froze. His green eyes flashed to the beast. "Maria?" he asked as he narrowed his eyes. Alfred nodded.

"Don't you remember? We met her that time you tried to spy on Antonio's garden? She was a little girl with black hair-"

A crash cut him off. He looked back into the kitchen and saw Arthur untying his black apron and tossing it aside as he stormed out of the kitchen.

He had completely forgotten about her. How could he have forgotten!? There was only one way he knew how to make a pearl and that was for reconnaissance reasons. It seemed the most useful way at the time. And Alfred, amazingly, did bring up a point. She was dressed like the daughter of someone of high social standing. Perhaps she had access to the court! If that was the case, he could at least get a general layout of it.

That was, providing, she still had the necklace and was wearing it. Arthur's quickened pace slowed as the realization dawned on him. He tilted his head back and let out a pained groan. There was a one in a million chance that she would be wearing the necklace. A one in a million chance...was he that desperate to even try?

A moment later, he found himself in his study and amongst the various scrolls and books sprawled around, he wandered to the heavy black cauldron hanging over the fireless hearth. With a snap of his fingers, flames were ignited and waited for the cauldron to bubble.

When steam was coming out and he was sure it was ready, he moved it out into the open and waved his hands over it. Steam rose into the air, growing thicker and thicker until it turned into an almost solid curtain of vaporizing water.

"Show me Maria's pearl," he ordered, his voice shaking with anticipation. "Maria from España...whom I gave a pearl necklace to!" he added, hoping to make himself clear. "She's a little girl with black hair...though, I suppose she's a woman at this point...." He shook his head and refocused. "Just show me Maria of España!"

There was a flash of bright light and then he saw a hall. Arthur fell back into his cushioned seat and watched as the pearl bounced along. His heart was racing. Someone was wearing the necklace. Finally, luck was on his side! Eagerly, he kept his eyes on the scene that the pearl sent back.

"Your majesty," a voice said to the side. The sight of the hall stopped and the wearer turned towards the voice. Arthur could make out a servant. "Princess, your father wishes to speak to you."

Arthur's jaw dropped. He didn't know whether it was some sort of cosmic joke or a miracle, but he could hardly contain his joy. A Princess was wearing the necklace! For a moment, he wondered why she was wearing Maria's necklace.

"Is he in his study?" a smooth, feminine voice came from above the pearl.

"Yes, Princess," the servant bowed as the Princess thanked him and began down another hall. Arthur took note of the various tapestries on the wall, mainly depicting either war victories or idyllic family scenes. Antonio really was an odd one.

They reached the door and he saw a tanned hand rise to knock. "Papa?" the Princess called. "You summoned me?"

"Ah, hija," a voice said from inside. "Come inside! I brought you something!" Arthur immediately narrowed his eyes. He knew that voice. He knew and loathed that voice.

The door was pushed open and Arthur couldn't help but glare at the man reflected in the steam. Antonio Carriedo, King of España, was standing in casual wear before a long table. Across from him, lounging lazily and eating a tomato, was his man-servant Lovino.

"Papa, I told you to rest first," the thoughtful Princess scolded lightly. "You, too, Lovino. You just got back from your campaign against El Diablo."

Arthur raised an eyebrow. Surely, she couldn't be talking about him.

"In a moment, hija," Antonio beamed. He crossed the room and took the young woman's hand. He led her towards the table and Arthur saw an elaborately made, jewel-encrusted box. "For my little girl," he smiled lovingly.

Arthur thought he was going to gag. He knew the other ruler had a thing of young boys, but was he really that pathetic with his own daughter? Antonio opened the box and a sharp gasp escaped from the Princess' lips.

"Oh...Papa...," she whispered breathily. Arthur stared at the golden grown. What the hell? Wasn't that what they were fighting for just days earlier!?

"I'm sorry it is so late, Princesa," Antonio told her gently as he lifted the crown from the box. "But...happy 17th birthday."

"What!?" Arthur shouted in his study. He had lost good men for that crown! Many good men! And what was it for!? The blasted idiot's daughter's birthday!? Words could not express how infuriating it was.

"How does it look?" he heard her say as he stormed his room, swearing. Did Antonio think so little of him that he could take something Arthur had fought so hard for and give it to his daughter like it was some pathetic jewelry store trinket? It was the legendary Crown of the Lake! He had been after it for years! Then Antonio just swept in, snatched it from under his nose, and given it to his child!? Arthur didn't know whether or scream or throw his chair against the wall.

"Take a look for yourself, Maria," another voice said. Arthur froze. He whirled around and looked back at the steam.

Did they say Maria? As in the little girl Maria?

He watched as he saw a wall approaching and on it a large, oval mirror. Silently, he fell back against his seat.

Wide brown eyes had matured into soft brown orbs rimmed with long black lashes. Messy black hair was now combed back neatly into long black locks that cascaded around her. The chubby cheeks were now smooth and flushed with warmth.

Antonio stood beside her as he adjusted her new crown on her head and smiled. "You look beautiful, hija," he told her fondly. "Doesn't she?"

Arthur nodded. So...Maria was actually Princess Maria. And Princess Maria had grown from adorable child to beautiful young woman.

"Very," Arthur chorused with Lovino. His heart slammed knowingly against his chest. As the mirror reflection of the princess smiled softly at him from the steam. "Very beautiful."

.oOo.____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo.
Two years later, Kingdom of España...

"He's coming back!?" Maria's eyes widened as she nearly dropped her fork and knife. "When!?"

Antonio chuckled as he looked up from his steak. "He should be arriving tomorrow evening, hija."

Her mouth remained open, wanting to reply, but unable, too. "Re...really!? Nueva is coming back!?"

Antonio nodded his head. "I'm glad you're excited about this," he beamed. "Because will be having a ball to welcome him home."

Metal utensils fell on to the stoneware plate. Maria froze in her seat, looking at her father with wide-eyes. Lovino shook his head. He knew Maria hated it when her father did something spur of the moment without informing her.

"To...tomorrow night?" she stuttered carefully. Antonio, unaware of his daughter's sudden tension, nodded excitedly.

"Yes, I've already invited everyone-"

"Why didn't you tell me?" Maria asked in a sharp voice. Antonio drew his head back slightly. His eyes flickered around nervously.

"I...I just did, hija," he offered affectionately, hoping to placate her. He gave her a hopeful smile and reached over to pat her hand comfortingly. "But you have nothing to worry about. Lovino is taking care of all the decorations!"

On his other side, the brown-haired man nearly choked on his wine. "I'm what!?" he hissed as he narrowed his eyes.

Antonio easily ignored his backlash and focused on his daughter. "All you have to do is show up!"

"Show up...." From his seat in his study, viewing the half-fearful, half-hopeful face of his rival from a pearl pendant, Arthur chuckled to himself with gleeful pleasure. Nothing made the grown man cry like rejection or scolding from his precious daughter. Arthur supposed her ability to reduce her father to tears was what drew him to her in the first place.

It certainly wasn't her smile, her bright eyes, sense of humor or beauty. Of course not. Those were petty things. Petty things that just secured her in his heart. That was all.

At the moment, he couldn't see Maria, as she was the pearl's wearer, but he could almost see her expression at her idiot father's remark.

"Just how many people did you invite!?" Maria's shrill voice demanded. She was bristling. Antonio quickly looked to Lovino for help, only to find another pair of brown eyes glaring at him.

"I...uh...just...just a few close friends," he assured her. Her eyes only narrowed further.

"What is a few, Papa?"

He looked hesitant. "Just...you know, Princesa...family," he said. Maria nodded. That was acceptable. "Francis and Gilbert, of course," he added. Maria nodded once more. She understood they were his best friends. "And...uh...the Nordic Princes, King Roderich, his wife, Count Ludwig and Feliciano, of course, they're practically family with Lovino, here. I also invited Sadiq to try to encourage peace between our kingdoms, several of the Eastern Emperors and their families-"

"Papa, did you invite everyone but El Diablo!?" Maria nearly screamed in horror.

Antonio seemed to mentally go down his guest list. "I forgot to send an invitation to Czar Ivan...."

"Papa, I can't believe you!" Maria slammed her hands down on the edge of the table. She pushed her chair away from her plate and rose to her feet. "It is such a large event tomorrow and I don't even have a dress! I am completely unprepared!"

"You can wear anything you want," Antonio insisted. "If fact, you can wear what you're wearing now!"

Arthur's bushy brows furrowed. He had been watching through the pearl all day and Maria had gone horseback riding with Lovino to practice hunting wild boar in the forest. They had returned just in time for dinner and were both still wearing riding gear. Men's riding gear.

Maria's face flushed red. "Papa, I'm wearing men's clothing right now!" she screamed. "I can't let Nueva see me like this!" she seethed as she motioned to her dirt and grass stained clothes.

"He won't mind!" Antonio assured her with a smile. "He's used to seeing you dressed as a boy, remember?" Lovino ran his hand down his face.

"I'm not wearing your old hunting clothes to a ball!" Maria yelled. As if to make her point, she grabbed hold of the worn, leather vest and quickly unbuttoned the three large buttons on the front. With a firm tug, she ripped it from her body and tossed it on her chair. "I'm going to find something to wear!" she announced loudly as she whirled around and stormed out of the dining hall.

Antonio was still looking out after her with one arm extended. "But...but hija...," he whimpered. He turned to Lovino, who remained in his seat shaking his head. "Why did she yell at me?" he asked, sounding wounded.

"Oh, I don't know...," Lovino shrugged as he pretended to continue eating casually. "The boy she idolized is returning after several years away and you told her to just show up in men's clothing." He shot Antonio a glare. "What do you think went wrong, boss!?" he snapped. "She wants to impress him and is caught off guard!"

"Why does she want to impress him?" Antonio asked as he rose from his chair and gathered Maria's discarded vest. He gently fixed the item and placed it on the back of her vacant chair.

Lovino narrowed his eyes. "You know why."

The older man's hands paused over the fabric of Maria's vest. He looked down at the strand of gold that was tangled around one of the buttons.

"She doesn't need to impress him," Antonio said quietly. Lovino looked at him suspiciously.

"What do you mean?"

Tan hands ran along a gold chain and on to the dangling pearl his daughter always wore. He carefully untangled it from the vest so that he could return it to her.

"How often do you think Alejandro writes home?" Antonio asked as he coiled the chain around his hand.

"Two...three times a year," Lovino shrugged. "Why?"

"He writes to me almost every week," Antonio explained. "We exchange letters frequently." Brown eyes narrowed across from him.

"Why haven't we heard of this?" Lovino asked seriously. "Especially Maria. You know how much she looks forward to his letters."

Antonio's green eyes lowered. "I told Alejandro that if he can prove himself a strong warrior, a brilliant politician, and a good man, I would make him heir."

"I thought that went without saying," the other brunette replied. "He is your son."

"I wanted him to work for it. To show me he could handle the task and not be one of those lazy princes who were simply expecting to be handed a kingdom," Antonio explained firmly. "And my Alejandro has worked for it. The other kingdoms sent me nothing but praise for what he has done while in their service." His shoulders relaxed. "His weekly letters to me were more of a status report than the long letters he sends to the family...at least until recently."

"What happened recently?"

Antonio looked down at the pearl. "I told him I wished for him to help me coax Maria into joining the Order of the Virgin of Almudera when he returned."

Lovino slumped back against his seat and shook his head. "You're still insistent on getting her to become a nun?" he sighed tiredly.

"He said he would not," Antonio added. His companion lifted his head, unsurely.

"It's not like him to easily refuse-"

"He asked for her hand, Lovino," Antonio said softly, his smile softening into something bitter-sweet. "He wants to make Maria his queen."

Brown eyes widened. "He wants to marry Maria?" he asked. The ruler nodded his head. "What did you say?"

"I said I'd give him my answer when he returns," Antonio admitted. "But, really, Lovino...." He trailed off, but the man-servant easily picked up on where he was going.

"You're going to give her to him," Lovino deduced. He thought about it for a moment. "It should be fine. They're not related by blood."

"I'm know."

"She'd be in good hands."

"I know that, too."

"And you wouldn't lose a daughter."

Antonio nodded. His fingers curled over the pearl. "Do you think she will say yes to him, Lovino?"

The brown-eyed man chuckled. "Knowing her, it's pretty much certain that she will."

Down the hall, Maria tore down the tapestry laden corridors, grumbling about her father as she made her way to her room. Of course she was the last person to find out. She was always the last person to find out. The only thing she knew her father had planned for her that was certain was the nunnery order.

She had already told him no, but he would not give up. Now, her brother was returning and he would most likely have him try to get her to become a nun. She needed to talk to Nueva before he could do so and she wasn't about to talk to him dressed as a man. Maria turned the corner and headed up some stairs.

Excitement bubbled with her irritation. It had been so long since she had seen her noble brother. From his letters, he sounded as if he were taking good care of himself and had in fact become perfect heir her father wished for. She bit her lips inwardly to keep from smiling stupidly as she reached her bedroom.

She couldn't help but feel tingly at the thought of his return. She had missed him so much and his letters to her had always been few and far between. Maria slipped into her bedroom and took a deep breath.

"Calm down, Maria...," she mumbled to herself before shaking her head and walking over to her wardrobe. She placed her hands on the doors and pulled it open. "For all you know, Nueva is completely different now...maybe he became a jerk."

She slumped forward in front of the rows and rows of dresses in front of her. Who was she kidding? There was no way her brother would ever turn out to be some foolish idiot. Their father would have his head.

She let out a heavy sigh and proceeded to go through her extensive wardrobe. Either the cut wasn't right, she didn't like the colors, or she had out grown them. She scowled. There had to be something...

A knock came from her door as she began her second rampage through her closet. "Yes?" she called out.

"Hija," her father's familiar voice called out. "I have something for you."

Maria rolled her eyes. "Can it wait until morning, Papa?"

"It is your necklace," Antonio explained. "It was caught on your vest and fell off." She froze.

Instinctively, her hands rose to the base of her neck and felt around for the gold chain and its lone drop. She felt her face drain of color. Her eyes widened. "My pearl!" She whirled around, abandoning her clothes as she rushed across the room to her door. With a hurried twist, she pulled the door open and looked at her father expectantly.

He stood in front of her, dangling the object in his hand. "Maria," he began to scold. "You should be more careful-"

She snatched the necklace from her father's hand and then threw her arms around him. "Thank you, Papa! I would've been devastated if I lost it!" she cried out as she squeezed him tightly. "This is my special necklace!"

Antonio stood dumbfounded as his daughter affectionately nuzzled her head against his shoulder. As expected, he melted immediately. All thoughts of scolding her were forgotten as he hugged her back. "Just be more careful next time, hija."

Maria nodded and pulled away. "Thank you, Papa," she repeated.

"You know, Maria," he said thoughtfully as he looked over the top of her head. He could see clothes falling out of her wardrobe. "I am sure there are some dresses in your older sisters' rooms that they haven't worn yet. I'm sure they don't even know they have them."

"If I can't find anything tonight, I will search their old rooms, Papa," Maria assured him. She craned her neck forward and placed a chaste kiss on his cheek. "Goodnight!"

"Goodnight, mi princesa," he smiled softly. The door closed in front of him.

Behind the barrier, Maria prepared to put her necklace back on. The pearl slipped into her hand. Frowning, she examined the necklace. The clasp had been twisted from when she had pulled it off and wouldn't close. She wrinkled her nose in irritation.

She would have to have it fixed in the morning. Carefully, she walked over to her bedside and placed the jewelry on the surface of her nightstand. She would deal with it tomorrow. Her first objective was to find a dress.

As she returned to her spot in front of her wardrobe and turned her back to the pearl, she began to rummage through her things once more. The sound of the heavy cloth and the rake of wood hangers against a wooden closet rod surrounded her; blocking out the low, subtle sound of a rolling object.

The pearl, with its familiar bluish tint, began to darken at it rolled restless on top of the nightstand. The blue color darkened until it gleamed like obsidian and rolled off the nightstand. It landed with a small click.

Black smoke began to seep through the pendent silently, growing thicker and thicker as it accumulated into a mass behind the oblivious young woman.

Maria kept her eyes on her closet, silently debating between red – her brother's favorite color, or green, which he had once said looked nice on her. As she mulled over the choices, she heard a rustle of clothe behind her.

The hairs on the back of her neck began to stand as a chill coursed through her body. She hadn't heard the door open. Her father had stopped bursting in unexpectedly, without knocking, when she hit puberty, and Lovino's arrival would always be heralded by complaints about her father. The servants were no longer supposed to come at that time either.

It was late and she had sent the last her of chambermaids away for the night...Her hands tightened around the cloth. Something was off...and something was watching her.

She swallowed the lump in her throat and held her breath as she gathered her courage and slowly turned around. Her eyes settled on the floor and to the whirling wisps of black smoke coiling by her bed. Her eyes rose.

Black clothes. Shocks of pale blonde hair. Her eyes widened as her hand rose to cover her gaping mouth. Vivid green eyes and just above them, thick, thick brows. He stepped towards her and she prepared to scream.

"El Diab-"

She never finished.

.oOo.____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo.His footsteps sounded quietly on the stone steps as he climbed up the stairs to her room. Subconsciously, his hands tugged at his shirt in an attempt to straighten it out before he revealed himself to her for the first time in many long years. He had wanted to return to her multiple times, but circumstance as they were did not permit it.

Now, he finally had her in his grasp. A happy smile graced his face as he reached her door. For a moment, he stopped in front of it.

The young woman inside would no longer be a little girl. His heart quickened beneath his chest. He missed her.

He turned the iron handle of her door and pushed it open. It creaked as it moved and he quietly tip-toed into the bedroom.

"Maria?" he whispered softly, expecting to see her form sprawled out in her usual unlady-like form on the bed, still sleeping the morning away. He lips tugged into a warm smile. "Maria," he called again as he stepped into the room. "Maria, I'm home-"

His breath caught in his throat. Her bed was empty. His brows furrowed and he looked towards her adjoining bath chambers. He quickly crossed the room and peeked into the smaller chamber. The tub was still dry and there was no sign of it having been used recently.

He turned back to the bed. It hadn't been slept. His heart began to quicken once more, but this time for a different reason.

"Papa!" his voice echoed off the vaulted ceiling as he rushed back to the door. "Papa!"

"What is it, hijo?" a yawning brown-haired man asked as he rushed across the hall from his own bedroom at the sound of his son's frantic voice. "I thought you were going to wake up-"

Alejandro's horrified brown eyes met his father's green ones as his face paled. His fingers clawed into the wooden door frame as his heart twisted. "Papa, she's gone!"

.oOo.____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo. ____.oOo.