Love Lost

Don't be afraid to comment! Votes are welcome to! =)

Wrote this short story almost two years ago. Perhaps not my best work, but I'm going to share it nonetheless!

 _______________________________________________________________________

                                                                      Love Lost

It was early morning; she was standing in the rain, the cold wet seeping into her skin and hair. She had closed her eyes, face to the sky. The tapping of raindrops as they pelted the sidewalk were the only sound that breached the silence.

 Rowen O’Brian watched the girl from a short distance away. Her dress and hair were drenched from head to toe, but she didn’t seem to care. What ever could be on her mind?

 “I have been courting you for months, Echo. How can you refuse me?” A voice said from the shadows. The girl jumped, a hand flying to the folds of her dress. She had clearly thought herself alone. Was that a weapon?

 “You're an evil man. The thought of loving you, of becoming your wife, sends spiders down my spine.” she hissed back. Her tone made the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end, and Rowen instinctively stepped forward to help.

 “You insolent little brat.” The man stepped forward, ready to land a hand across her face, but she was faster. She raised her hand to reveal the crude dagger she held.

 “Get away from me, Cole.”

Cole. Now that a name had been mentioned, Rowen recognized the man. Cole Harding. Head general of the Royal Army and very high up on the King’s list of 'good folk'. Cole was so high up, in fact, that he ran most of the city of Sageon in place of the king. He controlled the taxes, which he was forever raising. He made the laws, most of witch did not apply to him. He had most of the people’s crops and livestock delivered to himself and the king. He really couldn’t care less about the people.

So the woman he was talking to must be the 'Lucky Lady Echo'. Word had spread about the beautiful girl of only eighteen years Cole planned to wed. And beautiful she was, more beautiful then any girl Rowen had laid eyes on. But he was more then willing to wager she didn’t count herself as lucky.

“I swear, Cole, come any closer and I’ll slit your throat.” Echo’s voice shook, and her grip on the dagger didn't look very sure. She was scared. She wasn't going to kill a man.

 “Sweet Echo, this attitude is so unbecoming of you.” Cole leaned forward and brushed his hand along the girls long blond hair. She stepped away. “Oh come now, Echo!”

That was more then Rowen could handle. He would not stand to watch this, even if it wasn't his place to intercede. “Is there a problem here?” He stepped out of the shadows as he voiced the question. Echo looked towards him, her eyes screamed for help, begged him to save her. Never in his nineteen years of life had Rowen seen such fright.

“Stand down, kid.” Cole said, waving Rowen off.

“With all due respect sir, I don’t think I will.” Rowen stopped a short distance away from the man, standing slightly in front of Echo. Cole didn’t hesitate and within seconds he held a sword at Rowen’s throat.

“Cole!” Echo screeched. She shoved the blade away with her dagger and stepped closer to her suitor, “That is why I could never love you!”

Lowering the sword, Cole chuckled, her words hardly making an indent. He was a man of power. He always got what he wanted. “Very well, Echo. I shall speak to you tomorrow.” Without another word, Cole turned and strode into the darkness.