My Best Friend Ana[Edit]

I ran down the school hallway and rushed to take my seat at the back just as the bell rang. It figures that my mom would leave me behind yet again almost making me late for school.. Things in my life just always seem to work out this way.

“Ms. Stark? Ms. Stark!” My History teacher called, pulling me out of my reveer.

“Yes?” I quizzed feeling slightly embarrassed. I could feel the classrooms eyes on me as my face heated up.

“Try to be in your seat BEFORE the bell rings next time please?” He said sounding tired and annoyed.

“Sorry..” I whispered. As I hurriedly averted my gaze down to my closed notebooks on my desk.

“Hey, I’m Ana.” I heard a voice as sweet as honey chime next to me.

I turned my head in her direction and smiled. “I’m Elise, -I stammered- but you can call me Ellie. Are you new here? I don’t think I’ve ever seen you around before.”

“Yeah, I just transferred here from another town over today.” She said countering my smile with a more radiant one of her own.  

“Well, welcome to wading river New York .” I said with a nod as I turned my attention to the front of the classroom.

“Lets be friends Ellie. I think you and me could be best friends.” She retorted, regaining my attention.

I laughed. That was a little blunt. She's clearly a straight shooter. I think I like that actually. “Sure, why not?”

“Cool, then lets hang out after school today? Do your parents mind if I sleep over? It's Friday anyways!” Sounded more like a proclamation then a request.

“Uh, yeah, okay, I don’t think they’d mind too much..” Forward indeed. Who randomly asks if they can come over someone’s house within the first two seconds pretty much of talking to them? Or is that normal.. and I'm just the weird one? Well, in any case, she seems nice enough.. what’s the worst that could possibly happen right? Axe murderer? Eh, what as way to go, I'll roll the dice.

We met out front of the art building by the giant oak tree after school. We walked home together, as we made small talk, me leading the way.

After about 20 minutes we arrived at my house, 234 thunder meadow road. The thing I do like about my neighborhood is the woodsy feel, while also being nestled in suburbia. I fumbled to find my keys in my back pack for a moment of two before I retreived them. I flung the door open after unlocking it and tossed my bag to the ground.

“You can just put your stuff...where ever” I said half heartedly pointing to the general space around us.

“Okay” She smiled tossing her bag into the next room.

“You want something to eat or drink? We walked a pretty long way from school.” I said sliding into the kitchen.

“Water.” She said while walking into my living room and collapsing onto the couch.

“Sure.” I grabbed a bottled water out of the fridge and felt my phone vibrate in my pocket simultaneously. I set Anas water on the counter and reached into my pocket to grab my cell phone.

ONE UNREAD MESSAGE

hey, 🙋what r u doin? u should come over girl! Its been a while since we chilled

I smiled and texted her back saying

w/ the new girl from history class. Something seems off bout her though,😒 idk probably just me haha maybe I'm not used to more than one person wanting to be my friend 😅

I slid my phone back into my pocket, grabbed the water bottle and went back into the living room.

“Here you go.” I tossed the Water over in her direction and grabbed the remote.

“Thanks.. so.. you don’t remember me?” She quizzed while pushing herself up into a more upright sitting position. It sounded like she was surprised.

I shook my head, confused, as I sat down on the couch next to her "Do you mean..do I remember you from math class?”

“In eighth grade we used to be best friends” She laughed. “..but then you stopped talking to me and you broke the promises we made and I had to go FAR, far away.” She looked down at her hands suddenly sounding very small and somber.

I looked at her and felt instant guilt. She looked so incredibly sad..“I-I’m sorry.. I don’t remember. Maybe you’re thinking of someone else?”

She looked up abruptly. “No, I’m positive it was you. Your mom and dad didn’t like me.. but you did. They told you that they didn’t want you to be my friend.. and now you’ve forgotten all about me..” She said looking like she was about to burst out in tears any second.

“I’m sorry..” I tried to think back to eighth grade. It was only two years ago..why was it so hard to remember her? Ana.. why did that name sound so familiar to me.. maybe she really was my friend? I instantly felt like a horrible person. How could I forget my best friend? “I promise we can be friends now okay? I’m sorry about back then, I just honestly can’t rememeber..”

She sniffled and wiped away a tear that managed to escape her eye. “Its okay, as long as we can be friends now.. you promise?”

I smiled. “Promise.”