My Best Friend's Brother

Tatum stands at the edge of the wooden balcony that overlooks the ocean as the sharp rain and wind blows her hair away from her left shoulder.

Gage slides the glass door aside and pokes his head out."Tatum?" He swipes his hair away from his face.

"Hey." She turns her head to him.

"It's supposed to stop raining soon. Are you ready? We are thinking about going somewhere to pass the time."

"Ready when you are."

Gage grabs a rain jacket and walks over to her, putting it on her. "What are you doing out here? Aren't you freezing?"

"I'm just enjoying the view." She walks inside with him. "Are we leaving now?"

"As soon as they pull the car around to the side of the stairs." Gage looks

outside the window. "It looks like it's going to get pretty bad out there."

"Did you watch the weather?" She sits down and flips on the TV as he sits down beside her. She hears her phone ringing in the bedroom and drops the remote on the couch as she rushes to the phone.

Once she picks up her phone it displays: Missed Call from Wyatt Rockwell. She calls him back as she walks back to Gage.

"Was it them?"

"Yeah. It was Wyatt."

Gage laughs a little, remembering yesterday.

"Was it awkward riding alone with Sara's brother to the restaurant?"

"Shut up."

He laughs a little. "Maybe next time you'll get ready earlier."

Wyatt answers his phone. "Hey. We are waiting on you two."

"Oh okay." She signals Gage. "We're heading down now."

She walks down with Gage and they get in the back seat with Sara. Scott looks over at them from the passenger seat. "Where's the room key?"

Tatum looks over at Gage. Gage stares back. Wyatt sighs. "Did you lock the door?"

Sara looks up from her book. "I'm starving. We won't be gone long. Forget it."

Tatum opens her door. "I'll just grab the spare in the lockbox." She gets out and goes upstairs.

Wyatt opens his door too. "She doesn't know the combination. No one has a brain cell today do they?" He walks up the stairs and sees her almost to the door. "Maybe I should leave a note by the door from now on. We can't afford to be late so many times. We have reservations, Tatum."

"Relax."

He opens the lockbox and grabs the key. "Lets go."

"Drop your horrible attitude."

"Tatum, seriously." He starts to walk away and she follows.

"Do you remember that one time when we had to pick you up from football practice and I had my learner's license?"

"Yeah, I was a senior."

"Remember what happened last time you pissed me off?"

He stops and turns to her. "You put it in reverse when I was getting in the car and almost took my head off. How could I forget?"

"Okay. Just don't forget that " She walks past him and he laughs a little as she shuts her door.

He hops in the car and they head to the restaurant. Kelly and Randall, Scott and Tatum's parents, sit at the dinner table. Kelly plays with her food and Randall notices. "Eat, Kelly."