Prologue

Copyright 2013 @Kayla Krantz

All rights reserved

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Never before had I cried so hard in my eighteen years of life. It was hard to face my future with dignity, with pride, when I was so scared for my own life that I was willing to beg to keep it. Between my legs, I could feel the trauma, the abuse I had had to endure only moments prior. My own blood leaked down the inside of my legs, but I tried to hide it.

 May, my eleven year old sister, held me tightly as she sobbed into my hair. I wasn't just scared for myself, but for her as well. For a long time, all we had had was each other. Now, that was the case again. She was depending on me to keep her safe, but I knew that was out of my hands. I held onto her as tight as I could; she was so precious to me. I would fight to my last breath to make sure she was okay.

She was the only thing that was keeping me from going into absolute hysterics.

I was glad that she wasn't glancing below my stomach; I knew the sight of the blood would only sadden her more. She didn't need anymore grief.

We held each other tight in the backseat; our hands gripped each other's shoulders tight as we cried. I buried May's face into my chest as I ran my fingers through her soft hair. I would admit that this situation had ways of being worse. I was thankful that at least we weren't tied up.

At least, we still got to hold each other and revel in the little bit of comfort we had to offer. This way, I felt as if I could shelter her. I didn't want her to look up, to see the horrible world that had landed us in this scenario. To see the monsters that would surely dispose of us the first chance that they got.

"May, honey," I whispered as I set my hand to the side of her face.

Her skin was so dirty, so streaked in mud that her bright blonde hair looked golden brown. I pushed a lock of it out of her face as she pulled away to look at me. The sight of the tears trailing down her fragile face was heartbreaking. Once again, I tried to hide the pain I felt as I looked into her innocent blue eyes.

"We're gonna get through this," I whispered to her. "We're going to be okay."

More tears streaked down her face. "You don't know that, Clara."

I stared at her for a long moment. She was right; I didn't know. Without a word, she buried her face into my chest. She knew all too well what my silence meant. What else could I do? I held her once again; my grip was protective as I dared to risk a glance towards the front seat, toward our captors.

  The one in the passenger seat had turned to watch our exchange. He had his pistol aimed at me again. I took in a deep breath and closed my eyes, trying to keep myself from having a panic attack. I had spent a majority of the day looking down that silver chamber, not knowing if I was going to live or die. As the time went by, I wondered that more and more.

"That's so sweet." He sneered as he stared at me.

I managed to open my eyes. Even though the tears had been pouring out continuously, I stopped them as I faced him. "Please don't point the gun at me," I pleaded with him.

He didn't move the gun off of me as he exchanged glances with the driver. Out of nowhere, both of them broke into a fit of laughter. The sound caused May to glance up at them. The frown on her face only deepened as she whimpered.

"What are you lookin' at, darling?" he challenged her.

May instantly broke eye contact.

I became infuriated. I wouldn't stand to have them talk to her like that. I wouldn't allow them to do to her what they had to me. Even if I died for it, they weren't going to lay a hand on her.

"Don't ever talk to her like that," I said.

He grinned showing all of his teeth. To me he resembled a demon, the ugly creature that he was.

 "Or what?" he asked, his voice was ominously sweet.

"Or you'll regret it," I said, baring my teeth.

He laughed again before he suddenly reached out and struck me in the jaw with the butt of the pistol. The feeling of the metal against my bone sent my entire skull into agony. I slumped over onto the seat as the blood began to trickle from my mouth. I groaned without sitting back up.

"Clara!" May gasped.

I didn't sit up to look at her, or the boy that had hit me.

"That's right, dog. Down," he said.

I couldn't take it anymore. The insults, the pain, the mental suffering was all becoming too much. I didn't bother to sit up. Instead, I began to sob again. May was quick to bend over and latch her arms around me once more. I hardly noticed her presence that time as I wrapped my arms around my chest in lamentation.

Part of me seemed to realize that I was going to die today.