Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Exactly 3 months have already passed since the beginning of the outbreak. 3 months since the day I lost my parents, 3 months surviving the virus that brought the world to damnation, and 3 months spent only with my 14-year-old step sister, Sam. We stay in my now biter safe house, and we've been staying here for as long as I can remember.

I sat with my legs crossed on the right side of my twin bed while I quietly watched the only living person I've seen for quite some time sleep peacefully on the opposite bed. I didn't know what time it was but I was pretty sure she wouldn't be awake 'til atleast an hour or two. I watched her slightly open eyes, pupils peeking blankly from behind her soft sheet eyelids, how she would purse her pale lips before she would shift in position, her messy blonde hair...

She was so beautiful, so young, and so innocent. She of all who probably lived never deserved to live in this kind of world. A world where soulless, mindless creatures are dominant. Just looking at her sleep felt like a whole different realm to be in. A world filled with people you can greet without getting a growl in return.

With a sigh of frustration, I silently made my way to the bathroom by the hallway and took a quick bath before heading to the balcony to guess the time. My guess was around mid-day since the sun blazed at the center of the sky. Not much biters were outside during that time of day since they usually come out at night where all is dark and unfigurable. I closed the door to the balcony as I got in then locked it before heading downstairs to prepare our meal. I checked the cabinets and foundonly three canned tunas. They wereenough just for today.

I took a bowl from the sink, washed it, poured all the contents of the three canned tunas, took two spoons, and head upstairs to the bedroom.

"Sam, time for breakfast," I called before opening the door. I found her sitting on the edge of the bed scratching the back of her head and yawning.

"What's for breakfast?" she asked with her soft voice ringing beautifully in my ears.

"Tuna," I answered.

"Yay," she responded sarcastically.

We ate quietly on the bed and I ordered her to take a bath right after. I washed the dishes as she followed orders, and after I finished doing my job, I made my way upstairs to the cabinets and changed my outfit.

From dad's baggy T-shirt and shorts, I put on a fit black tank-top, camo pants, and black leather boots with buckles that I took from the mall the last time I made a run. Before I could grab my leg gun belts and other stuff to protect myself, I heard the bathroom door spring open and my heart started to race. I never liked seeing Sam so worried and scared whenever she sees me getting ready for a run. I held on to the gun belt hanging on the cabinet door while I listened to Sam's footsteps sounding nearer and nearer with each step.

"Please don't tell me you're going for a run again," she plead with her voice broken as she spoke.

I closed my eyes with my back at her. "I'm sorry, we're out of stocks," I tried to keep my voice even.

Silence. She didn't say a word. Instead, she hugged me from behind and buried her face onto my back. "Just be careful, Holly," she muttered.

"Always am." I put on my belts and grabbed my backpack while she dressed up. She gave me a kiss on the cheek before I stepped outside the house with my bicycle and rode away.

A few minutes of dodging biters along the road, I turned to the corner leading to the mall entrance and I was greeted by a huge amount of biters lollygagging along the road. A loud gasp escaped my lips before I could stop myself, earning the attention of most of the biters. They growled before coming towards me as I turned my bike around to get away from the dead. While my heart raced by every second that felt like hours each, I pedalled as fast as I could to get away from the biters. I focused more on the road than at the disturbing angry growls from behind me. My hands trembled terribly on the handle bars causing the ride to be a bit unsteady.

I could hear the loud growling from behind me as I approached a corner, silently praying for it to be clear of biters. I go for it and thankfully, there's only one. I pedalled faster and I gave out a loud cry of disappointment as I turned to another corner and discover that it was a dead end, not exceeding a hundred feet far from the turn. Panic invaded me entirely as I looked around for any signs of escape. Tears sprung from my eyes as I found none.

What would happen to Sam without me? How can she survive by herself when she never had training as I did? The girl doesn't even know how to hold a gun for heaven's sake. This couldn't be the end of me. This just can't!

Feeling hopeless, I jump off of my bike before it crashed onto the wall. I turned around facing the biters who were a good 30 feet away, still rushing towards me. I pulled out my pistols from my belt and I aim at their heads. Before I could pull the trigger, a loud bang made me jump and almost drop the guns.

The biters at the front of the wave dropped dead on to the ground though new sets of them kept coming forward. I wasted no time looking for the shooter and just join in on shooting as much of them as I can.

The other shooter stopped while I continue until I heard someone shouting from above.

"HEY! OVER HERE! HURRY UP!" I turned around and spot a rope ladder hanging on the wall. Without thinking, I dropped both of my guns, broke into a sprint, and started to climb up the ladder.

Climbing rope ladders looked easy on TV, but in reality, the word difficult is a more acceptable description.

This is nowhere near easy.

My foot almost got grabbed by a biter as I climbed up and suddenly, it became a few times more difficult with those mindless flesh eating creatures shaking the rope as I do.

It took a lot oof my energy and time for me to make it up to the last 3 steps, but I managed anyway. My vision started blurring as I got closer to my goal and before I could grab a hold on to the surface of the brick wall, I lost my vision and a hand met my wrist and pulled me up. Half of my body had already been on the surface, leaving my other half hanging on the edge when I completely passed out.

~*~

OKAY! I started with a short chapter and less dialogues to give you a preview. Yes, the first chapter is just a PREVIEW.

I think this should be called a "Prologue" or something, but I don't feel like calling it that.

HAHA.. Holly at the side!

Tell me what you think! Should I continue this story? VCF!

So.... yeah.

FIRST CHAPTER, PUBLISHED!