Six

We dragged ourselves in the car and slammed the doors. The awkward silence remained as we drove on 8th street and down Cherry Bridge Road. The engine roared and the rocks crackled as we stopped in the parking lot in the back.

Logan stayed in the car and dazed at the steering wheel as Alexis and I started toward the backdoors. I turned around and examined him. He needed some cheering up too, so why not he come? I skipped back to the car and opened his door, tugging at his arm.

"No thanks." He said in a dry and depressed tone. I started to tug harder and managed to pull half his body out the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. He let out a huge sigh. "No."

"Why not?" I said all frustrated. 

"Because." He simply said. I waited a few more seconds for why, but nothing. That was it? Just because? He is Alumni for peat's sate! The teachers probably had a hard time with him, but he still made it. Mr. Lucas would be thrilled to see his former Student he taught in 11th grade.

"Come on." I said.

"No." He said again. Stubborn as he was, he didn't budge.

"It'll make you feel better," I said in a happy voice.

"I feel fine." He said in a flat and grumpy tone.

"Liar. Now come on!" I exclaimed. "Seriously! It'll make you feel better! You know how Mr. Lucas is..." My voice trailed off for him to reminisce. Yet, his dull face stud it's position.

After a few seconds, he slowly parted his head to mine, and starred me in the eyes. I tried to search happiness until I was immediately broken by how bad his face looked. His face nearly turned pale, white. He had horrible darkened bags sagging under his exhausted eyes. His face looked a bit deformed. He didn't look himself at all, more like 40 years into the future. My frown grew harder then into horror. I looked around, but his face stood still, and anguished. He had something horribly wrong with him. Something I couldn't break. Something I didn't know about. I didn't want to ask right then and there. It was a horrible time.

I squeezed his arm then knelt down to his sagged sitting figure. I focused my eyes on both his eyes; left and right. Silence filled the air. I took my right hand and caressed his cheek, then taking it to his hair, and brushing it back. My voice calmed and majored. "Logan. . . please. I'm trying here." I squinted my eyes a bit and pursed my lips. Movement entered his body, and his eyes moved to both of my eyes for the first time. Thank god. Communication. He sighed and stood. I stood with him. A soft smile floated on my face. He looked at me and held my hand. As if he was desperately attempting to smile, a smile croaked from his face. We started toward the door about two yards away.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ - ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ - ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ -

After three stories of steps, we finally reached the third floor. We walked down the barren hallways, our feet echoing on the brown and waxed floor through the midst. 

I walked ahead, while the two lagged behind. Now Alexis had her jacket covering over her instead of on her. Logan held his head high, or at the least trying too.

I finally reached the other side of the hallway and peeked into the room. There he was, sitting at his desk reading the daily news paper. He sat back and looked so cool and relaxed. I sighed and smiled.

I took my red polished nails and tapped on the glass window on the door. His head immediately flung my way and looked rather surprised. Soon enough, his smile grazed across his clear face and he got up to open the door. I smiled back as he opened the door. 

"Miss Brianna, what a surprise. Come in." He scooted back to let me in. After he was ready to close the door, Alexis came waddling in, looking a little bit happier than before. As of did Logan. He held a nicer grin on his face. I guess the presents of Mr. Lucas has a huge impact.