chapter 1.

Have you ever just sat amid the morning traffic, curled up in the pavement, just to watch the lights change? Probably not. Then again, you probably aren't an unemployed nineteen year old with an obsession for watching traffic lights. They calm me in a way. I used to sit on the sidewalk next to the pelican crossing every morning for an hour and enjoy it. That's where I was when I received a life changing phone call from my mother. I quickly disposed of my cigarette so that she could talk to me without disturbance. My usually incredibly annoying, shrill mother spoke timidly about me coming home straight away, so that's what I did.

 It took me a while to get there, for my own city was so huge I tended to lose track of where I was going. I hated Chicago so much, the constant sound of sirens and the dodgy watch sellers harassing you on street corners. I told my parents a few times I wanted to take up the life of a pirate and live on the sea, not knowing where you'll end up from one day to the next. Naturally, they just scoffed and brushed over it. I never dwelled too much on how they ignored the majority of what I said. It was part of life, I suppose, they still considered me as a baby.

 Everything seemed oddly morose from the second I opened the door. The entire family had gathered in the kitchen, my younger sister Ariel with blotchy cheeks and tears in her eyes. Before speaking a word, I made my way over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder in an attempt to console her for whatever was the matter.

 My father was the first to break the silence. "Honey," he took a glance in my direction, "you may need to sit down for this." I obliged in an instant and took the chair next to Ariel, curiosity being the main factor of my obedience. "Your mother and I-" he looked at her and it seemed almost, regretful, painful. "We are separating. It may be temporary," I had to restrain myself from an eye roll at this point, knowing far too well it wouldn't be, "but it means that I will be staying here in Chicago, and your mother is moving to Virginia."

 From next to me, my sister whimpered a little, obviously distraught. I put an arm around her shoulder and smoothed out her blonde curls. My own face didn't portray similar emotions. If anything, it would be a relief. I'm no psychic but in all honesty, I had seen this coming for months now. They rarely spoke to one another and when they did it was only to argue. I had managed to dye my hair neon pink without a harmonious grumble from either of them, and I had been doing nothing for weeks without a lecture about adult responsibility. Perhaps I should've been a bit more sensitive, but my brain didn't tell my mouth to be. "So are we going to be moving to Virginia?" Really, I could've gone wherever I liked. My fourteen year old sister was the one with the decision to make. Even though she wouldn't admit it, I knew she would just follow my lead.

 "If you want to, of course you can come with me. I am moving to a small town called Mystic Falls, your uncle still lives there and has offered a place to stay." My mother finally spoke up. Silence hit the room afterwards, as I sat and contemplated my next move. Then something hit me.

 "Holy shit!" I exclaimed unintentionally as I darted from my chair and sprinted up to my bedroom. Not even bothering to turn on my bedroom light, I went to find my laptop. I opened it, closed down the graphic I was working on via Photoshop, tried not to get distracted by my tumblr (I am an active blogger) and hit the history button. I suppose this is confession time. For as long as I can remember, I've believed in the supernatural. Ghosts, werewolves, vampires, witch, etc. My research has been gruelling work and my evidence is extensive, but I like to keep my knowledge relatively low key. Ariel, on the other hand, read the first few chapters of Twilight and decided she believed, too. After a while I managed to find what I had been searching for. It was a report by a woman by the name of Isobel from long ago about vampire activity in a small, Southern town. That town was Mystic Falls - the place my mother was going to move to.

 Instantly, I jumped up from my chair in immense glee, picturing what life would be like in a quiet place where vampires actually existed. Before thinking about it properly, I had begun packing in excitement, and was already sending text messages of good bye to my high school friends. This was the escape from Chicago I had been looking for.

 Oh, and by the way, my name is Islophenia Jackson. I know what you are thinking, that name completely sucks on all levels, but you are welcome to call me Isla.