penalties

Austin Collins was supernatural for he had the power to bring out the worst in an innocent little girl who had never known the meaning of trouble her whole life.

Preschool was but a distant memory but whatever blurry memory of the day we met I still had was engraved in the back of my mind, where I suspected it would be for the rest of my life.

We were kids who were very alike in many ways, which is why if we hadn't hated each other so much, we might've been the best of friends. We clashed because we were typical, spoiled children who were always seeking attention and the attention was usually granted. Then, one got more attention than the other and it became a competition.

It was our first day and like everyone else, I didn't know anyone outside my family besides my brothers' friends from the much higher grades. At three years old, I had to admit a was a pretty spoiled child with brothers who adored me since I had yet to learn how to fight back and parents wrapped around my little fingers because I was their first daughter. I was a little girl who was used to getting what she wanted and I hadn't realized that it was possible for me not to.

The first person to ever approach me was Jake Parker and his kindness managed to snatch a little girl's heart and a place as her first crush.

He was a cute, little blonde boy who had a smile that was contagious and he was incredibly friendly. I sat alone in the corner of the classroom, looking at some of the children's books after my brothers and parents dropped me off to class. I had been so nervous he was just sweet enough to help me relax a bit by walking up to me.

"Hi, I'm Jake. What's your name?" he had asked. It was so easy to make friends when you were a kid.

"Kody." My reply was proud, with my chin up and a smile on my face. They all told me that I was never a shy child.

"Kody?" At the age of three, no one could actually speak properly so there was a certain childish tone in the conversation we were having. "But that's a boys name."

"Says who?" I asked, not bothering to get mad because I was used to that same question from all of the friends my brothers brought over. Kids, apparently, were not afraid to speak the truth or at least what they thought was the truth.

"Well, my sister has a friend who's name is Cody and he's a boy." 'Friend' sounded more like 'fwend'.

"But I'm a girl," I said. "And my name's Kody– girl Kody."

He laughed. "Okay, do you want to be friends with me, girl Kody?" It was so easy to make friends when you were a kid.

"Ye–"

"Jake! Look over here!" some kid called out for him.

"Wait!" Jake said. "Come play with us, Kody."

I had smiled because I'd just automatically attained a new friend without having to do anything. I let Jake take my arm as I followed him to where his other friend was.

"Hi," I waved at the boy.

If anything, he was cuter than Jake was with his light brown hair, which was probably closer to my type, and hazel green eyes that I would've fallen for if it weren't for his big mouth.

"Go away," he told me.

My cheeks grew red with a mixture of embarrassment and anger. No one had ever told me that before and it made me mad and somehow insecure that someone didn't want me around. I bit my lip, not wanting to show a bad side of mine to anyone in the classroom.

Jake held my wrist tighter and it soothed me a bit by telling me that I wasn't that unwanted.

"Who's that, Jake?" he asked, staring at his hand on my arm. What an obnoxious child.