Writer's Notes & Discussion

This short novella "CRUMBS" is dedicated to birds. Specifically to two birds we neglect. A bird we look to as a pest (Pigeons) and to a bird we have allowed to become threatened in the wild (Cerulean Warblers).

Why a Bird Story?

They are the only creatures to dominate the skies, long before we flew planes. Because their origins are mysterious, even theorized to have dinosaur ancestry. Because they are increasingly becoming endangered due to loss of habitat and poaching. Birds have been strong symbols of perspective, freedom, elegance and wisdom. Birds are as important to literature as they are to our ecosystem. And birds, well they are very cool creatures.

Where Did the Inspiration Come From?

I wanted be a bird and fly away from my problems. After finishing school, I had everything I could possibly want in life. Somehow though, I felt stuck. I didn't feel like I wanted the future that I had planned for myself anymore. Just like Seto, I wanted to migrate for a moment. So that is what I did. I packed my bags and left for New York City, the city that never sleeps. My little run away to New York wasn't the most elegant thing I've ever done in my life. I left to NYC without saying goodbye to anyone, I lived in a livingroom in Soho where I built a fort out of couches and floral bedsheets to sleep in, and I was stubborn enough to believe that I did not need anyone or anything in life (kind of like how Parker felt).

It was this quarter-life crisis that developed my obsession with birds. Bird block patterned skirts, bird necklaces, bird rings, and bird postcards. Birds, birds, birds. Because the idea of being like a bird, made me believe that my freedom and my wildside could be elegant too.

In the end, just as migratory birds do, I came home. When I did, I came back home with more memories, life lessons, and a realization that not everything in life can be controlled. Sometimes you just have to adjust your wings a little, and let the wind do it's thing.

What are the Lessons to be Learned Behind the Story?

This story "CRUMBS" is a reflection of what we all feel inside us. Sometimes it is that deep longing to be free like a bird, to escape and fly away (Just like Seto). Or sometimes we feel too much like birds of a feather and not specical from anyone else (Just like Parker), so we need to find what makes us unique. It is alsp about realizing, like Parker and Seto did, that we have more in common with different individuals than we initially think we do. That those are the connections that can challenge our view on the world in a very beautiful way.

But my favourite character to learn a lesson or two from is Parker. A strong fella who sticks with it, even though he faces adversity everyday. He teaches us that love doesn't always come with a happy ending, or with romance, but love starts with loving yourself. It's not about changing who you are (Parker learned to fly, but he still likes to take the elevator down). It is about accepting and loving yourself just the way you are.

What's Next for the Story?

I hope to one day turn this story into a children's book (leaving out Parts like Parker being a pigeonizer of course!). It will take a lot of work, but stay tuned as I give you some updates on how I will try and see this dream through.

Let me know what you think of having this turned into a kids book, and if you have any ideas, advice, or questions for me!

Note: no pigeons were harmed in the process of taking this amazing chapter photo. Thanks to @nicholasquill for the shot.

Thanks again for reading. Parker approves ;)