Romance Is...

Pitter patter. Pitter patter.

I wave goodbye to my friend and step out of her house into the light droplets of rain.

Pitter patter. Pitter patter.

Instead of heading in the direction of my home, I take a detour to the ocean. I silently thank God that I live in a town so close to the East Coast. I've always thought that the East Coast was better than the West Coast, but I guess I'm a little biased.

I pull my hood up on my jacket and look both ways before crossing the street. Soon enough, I reach the grainy sand of the beach. I take off my shoes and stroll to the shore. Far enough away that I wouldn't get wet from the tide. I plop down and lean back on my elbows with my legs crossed in front of me. I smile as I watch the multi-colored sunset.

 I don't know how long I sat there, but by the time I got up it was dark out. I sigh and grab my shoes. I trudge off the beach and in the direction of my house. I shiver as a cool breeze sweeps through my hair and down my spine. I walk past the little shops and restaurants of downtown Pax Valley that have closed for the night. Pax Valley has always been my home. Even though it's not always the safest or nicest place, it's usually a decent place. There's a bad part of town that most people steer clear of. Well except the people that live there. But doesn't every town have a so called "bad part"? I've also heard rumors of fights. I've heard they happen in some of the run down warehouses at the edge of town. Men go there to fight and the people there place bets on who's going to win. That kind of thing. I've also heard a couple gang rumors. I have yet to discover if any of these are true.

I look up and realize I'm near my house. I'm about to cut through an alley when I hear a male voice coming from it. I stop suddenly, standing right in front of the opening of the alley. The man - or should I say boy? He looked to be in his teens - doesn't seem to notice me. I freeze where I stand, and listen to his conversation. I usually don't eavesdrop but this is a special occasion...Ok I'm snooping...

The guy sighs.

"I don't know if I can make it on Friday," he says running a hand through his hair.

Make what?

"I'd have to leave school early - It's not my fault I'm still in school. This is my last year anyway...I'm still better than half of those guys," the guy paused, listening to the guy on the other end.

"Look, I'll check at home and see if I need to do it. You know I don't like to if I don't have to. And plus, it's the first week of school, it wouldn't look good if I was already leaving early and skipping class," he paused once again.

I took this moment of silence to study his features. He was fairly good-looking. Ok, who am I kidding? He's freaking hot! I couldn't tell what his hair color was because of the darkness, but it fell in messy strands all over his head and forehead. He was wearing a jacket but I could tell he was very toned and slightly muscular. Not too muscular though, which I liked. He had a strong jaw and piercing eyes. I couldn't tell much else since I was about 10 feet away and I wasn't just about to blow my cover. Which surprisingly, I still have. You think he would’ve noticed me already, but he was looking down the whole time. The boy’s conversation picks up again and I focus my attention back on him. Well he already had my undivided attention, but you know what I mean.

"Ok ok. Fine yeah. I'll see. Bye," he hangs up and dials a number.

"Hey," he says in a cheerier voice compared to his hard masculine tone from before. "I got the money. Are we ok for now? I can make more - I know but - you know I don't care about that,"

This conversation was getting fishy. Who was he talking to and why do they need money? And does the conversation from before have anything to do with this one?