How to write a fairytale

Start from the beginning

            “Hello baby!” she smiled as she stroked her beautifully restored 1987 BMW convertible. With a small chuckle she set herself inside the incredible car and drove to school, the top of the car down so she could feel the warmth of the summer sun. She drove into the large open campus and pulled her car into her reserved parking space.

            “I love that space! I wish I got a reserved space with shade!” sighed Lana Fairbridge, unofficial deputy head cheer leader and official best friend. She flipped her long blonde hair over her shoulder and stared down at Amalie’s car with her green blue eyes.

            “And I’d kill for a car like yours,” she said with a giggle, although her eyes betrayed her happy laugh. They were engulfed in envy and something in the back of Amalie’s mind told her she was serious. Amalie looked at her best friend, classic cheerleader. She couldn't hurt a fly and so she laughed with her and to the two joined arms and entered the school like they were royalty.

            “I love my life!” exclaimed Amalie as she and Lana walked into Amalie’s town house. Although Lana can only manage a C, English is also her best subject so the girls decided to study together.

            “I know right! The star quarterback just walks up to you and asks you out! I mean he is so hot!” replied Lana with just as much enthusiasm in her voice although, once again, her eyes betrayed her.

            “He’s a bit dim though… and I do really like Henry.”

            “Only you wouldn’t understand what just happened to your popularity,” said Lana who was now slightly angry at her friend. Amalie just stared at her with a confused expression. “If there was ever anyone who could possibly out popular you, they haven’t got a chance now! You don’t even have to like Ethan! Don't you see Am? You’re at the very top of the food chain! Even higher than Ethan because everyone knows the girl is in charge of the relationship,” sighed Lana as she realised her fists were clenched.

            “You’re right Lana, thank you!”

            “No problems, so what are you writing for this stupid short story?”

            “A fairytale and my mum gave me this beautiful book! Come look!” Lana slowly followed her friend up the stairs and into her room. She watched as she lifted a heavy old book to her and opened it to the middle.

            “What happened? I don't understand… Lana, look at this,” mumbled Amalie, a hint of fear in her voice. She walked over and sat on her bed.

            “It’s just a fairy tale, what’s strange about that?”

            “It wasn’t here yesterday, it was blank!”

            “Impossible, unless you wrote it yourself. It’s really short, what does it say?”

            “Oh my lord! You will never believe it if I told you! Look!” she cried as she pushed the book over to her friend. The words were old and faded, like they’ve been there for years and the font was unrecognisable, but the actual words written were the strange thing.

There once lived a Princess, so careless and sweet,

All of her subjects bowed down to her feet.

She ruled all of St. Betteridge land,

With Ethan Croft as her noble man.

Princess Amalie felt ever so safe,