Labor Of Love [A Pregnancy Story] [24]

Here's another chapter so soon. :)  Enjoy

Kai’s P.O.V.

Henry’s voice deadpans with seriousness.  “Okay Kai.  We’re on it.  Just stay strong.  I’m sure she’s fine and it’s just some misunderstanding.”

“Really?” I ask.

“Yeah, just a misunderstanding.  She’s fine,” he reassures. “I’m going to let you go so we can get started over here on the search.  Text me if the police know anything new.”

“Alright.” And with that we hang up.

Despite reassurances from Henry, I still had a horrible feeling that something was terribly wrong.

- - - - - - - - - -

Andrew’s P.O.V.

I walk up to the hospital, the large double doors sliding to the side as I enter.  I approach the receptionist’s counter and wait for the woman to finish speaking on the phone.  “May I help you?” she asks, after a few moments.

“Uhh, yeah.  I have a lost friend, you see, and her name is Miranda Bear.  I was wondering if she was in this hospital?  I’m quite worried about her whereabouts and her health.”

“Alright, let me check our system and see if she’s here.”  The woman turns to a couple of computers and clacks away at the keyboard.  She runs her eyes over the screen and taps it a few times before returning to face me.  “No, sorry. We haven’t anyone in here by that name.”  She flashes me a small smile.  “I hope you find your friend.”

“Yeah, thanks…” I trail off as I head back toward the entrance. I walk a few steps before I hear the woman call out from behind of me.

“Oh!  Sir!” I turn to face her and she’s standing on her feet. “You may want to check with the ER. They sometimes don’t enter things into the larger system for a few days.  Things get a little busy sometimes.” She pleasantly smiles once again and points to her left.  “The ER is just down that corridor and to the right.”

“Oh, thank you,” I say with a smile and head in the direction of her finger.

I pass a gift shop, a coffee shop, and a few staff rooms before finding the reception area of the ER.  I look around at the full lobby and stand in the short queue formed at the sign-in area.  ‘Things ARE a bit busy,’ I think to myself.

“Next,” comes the voice of a nurse behind the counter.

I step forward and smile.  “Hi, I’m looking for my friend and the woman in the main lobby said I may find information about her here.  Although, I’m not a hundred percent sure she’s actually here.”

The woman gives a half frown.  “Alright, well what is your friend’s name?”

“Miranda Bear.”  The woman moves a few sheets of paper around before trailing her finger down a list of names.  While she does so, I fill the gap of time my stumbling through a mindless ramble.  “She’s been missing for a few days though, so I doubt you’d have information on her here.  It’s just I have to check to make sure.  She means a lot to a good friend of mine.”  The woman flips the sheet of names and goes down a second page of names, and I continue.  “Which is understandable, because she’s beautiful - even if her eyes are a strange golden yellow.”  I realize what I’m saying and try to backtrack.  “Not that I like her or anything; my friend Kai is the one who is absolutely mad for her.  I have someone else.” Man, now I’m beginning to feel stupid.  “But yeah.  She’s missing and we’re just checking around to see if we can help.”

The woman looks up from her papers and gives me a strange look.  “Could you describe your friend?”

“Well, she’s kind of skinny.  Long brown hair.  Golden eyes.  She’s a little bit brown for her skin.  Umm, she’s a little over five and a half fee-”