Episode 001: "Birth"

Start from the beginning

"Nanotechnology. And … well …"

"Shpit it out Dewey."

"Each of the scientists were contracted through various dummy corporations – each of which leading to ..."

Quiverwing interrupted – her pen-light still bouncing lightly between her lips as she spoke. "Do I haf to guesh?"

Dewey took a deep breath. "No."

"Nice."

T-Minus 60 Hours

The City of St. Canard

It was the sound of the Thunderquack's engines that alerted Morganna, prompting her to greet DW, and Launchpad in the attached hanger. She hurried on her way.

"Morganna!" Launchpad's voice was urgent … panicked. Morganna's eyes widened.

"DARK!"

Launchpad continued. "DW took two gunshot wounds. One to the shoulder, and another in his left lower abdomen. Both .45 caliber."

Darkwarrior lumbered clumsily out of the Thunderquack – Launchpad helping him on his way as Morganna ran to DW's side.

"He's lost a lot of blood! Get him to the infirmary, LP and set up an IV. I'll grab a few units of blood and be right there."

"Gotcha. C'mon DW. Hold on a just a little while longer."

"Need help, Launchpad?"

Launchpad looked down from the cockpit of the Thunderquack to see Gosalyn's pretty green eyes looking up at him. "Actually I'm just finishing the clean-up."

Launchpad hopped down. "Find anything?"

"A little. We've managed to track a string of recent victims back through various dummy corporations to Muddletech's Research, and Development."

"What about the assassin?"

"Don't know, yet. We picked up a few foreign skin samples. Crocodilian."

"Beaux-Beaux?"

Gosalyn giggled. "That'd be the first guess, but the skin sample matched an entirely wrong species. At any rate, we're not sure who this is. It's an identical M.O. in each case, though: Three shots – one for each lung, and one through the center of the forehead. Each time it's the same weapon, too – a .45 caliber ACP – and each shot was taken at close range.

"I'll have to finish my analysis later though. Classes."

Launchpad's expression shifted – contemplative. "Need a lift?"

"No. I'm looking forward to riding the Hayabusa."

"You certainly do love those bikes of yours."

Gosalyn smiled. "No more than you love your airplanes." Gosalyn shifted uncomfortably, her smile now fading. "Uhm, Launchpad?"

"What happened to your father?"

"Yeah."

"It was about six hours ago. DW and I were on dual patrol – he'd taken the Ratcatcher to monitor the streets, and I was monitoring the situation from the air. DW was checking out the old abandoned warehouses by the dock when he reported hearing three gunshots in rapid succession – and that he'd decided to check them out.

"I suggested he wait for me to back him up, but well. You know your Dad."

"Yup."

"Anyways, by the time I got there and gained entry into the building, DW had already managed to get himself in it pretty deep.