Brother Zachariah's Pov

* This is a fanfic I wrote about Jem Carstairs from The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare.If you have not read Clockwork Princess be warned this is a spoiler.

I stood in the plain room,alone.Just me.No one else.It was silent,but perhaps that is not the right term to use,for it is always silent.I am in the Silent City,living among the other Silent Brothers. The quite is only present around me,but not in my head. I hear the other brother's thoughts in my mind.They are somewhere in a room nearby maybe,projecting their conversation to everyone's mind.

The brotherhood is a secret life that we lead,peaceful,quite.No words are spoken aloud,no sounds made when we move,no music is played.Music.I think bitterly to myself.I was once a musician,skilled in the violin.When I left behind Will,Charlotte,Henry and Tessa,I left my violin with them.Silent brothers cannot take anything to the silent city except themselves and their minds.They- WE I correct myself, are supposed to forget their past lives....

I still remember.

I remember everything about Jem Carstairs,a dying boy.The love Charlotte and Henry gave him.My parabatai,Will.I remember his last moments.I was there when he took his final shuddering breath,and as the life went out of those beautiful blue eyes.I played for him,a heartbreaking song just for Will.My fingers twitched,aching to hold my instrument I so miss.Longing to create music,sound,beauty.

The one thing I remember the most,was Tessa.Her soft brown hair and gorgeous grey eyes like the clouds of a storm.I remember the way she cried when her husband died as if she too,had just died.

Recalling that image was like a slap in the face for me.She is not dead. I remind myself.Tessa is still alive.The girl I once loved,and somehow still do,is out there......Waiting for me.

I hurried out of the Silent City,heading towards Backfires Bridge.No mundane gave me a backwards glance thanks to my glamour.When I reached the bridge,she was already standing there waiting for me,leaning on her elbows and looking down into the water.She was just as beautiful as last year,the year before that,and the last decades,unchanged.Immortal.

She turned slowly,as if sensing my presence.Spotting me across the throng of people,she gave me a slow smile,her eyes lighting up with a sort of joy.My heart gave an involuntary thump as I glided over to Tessa.

"Brother Zachariah." She greeted me.