The Origin of Languages

Many years ago, there was a time when there wasn’t any different kinds of languages, nor was there any type of speech or language for the people to use to communicate to each other by words. These people lived and communicated by their expressions and hand motions.

For example, they could rub their stomachs with their hands to show that they’re hungry or they have a stomach ache. Or they could fan themselves with their hands to show that they are hot. But these are only basic expressions for the basic needs that they have.

They didn’t have a way to express needs that was more complex than the basic ones such as not feeling well, or trying to look for something or someone. They also do not have enough expressions to express the thoughts that was forming in their minds.

Athena, the goddess of wisdom felt bad for these people. Since they couldn’t understand what the other person was trying to say, they kept on trying to fight each other for food since they didn’t know that the other was saying to share the food among themselves. This cause more and more deaths and as time goes on, they became more savage and was only thinking about fighting for food. During this time, there was a lack of food even though it should have been the growing season, because Hades didn’t want to give Persephone back to Demeter, so the crops didn’t grow.

Athena tried to decrease the number of killing by asking Zeus to make one of Athena’s bird as a goddess of languages and speeches. Zeus agreed because he didn’t want to see people suffering and transformed the bird into Ceres, the goddess of languages and speeches. Athena said, “Ceres, Zeus had granted you life, so you could teach the people languages and speeches, alright? Try to get them to communicate to each other so there’ll be less fighting and less deaths.”

Ceres formed the first known language- Sumerian- and taught it to a person whom she thought would be capable of teaching others how to speak it, so it can be passed down from generations to generations.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This is an extra credit story for english class so yeah.....xD And Ceres isn't a real goddess....xD