Chapter One: A Change In Full Halt

It was a typical Sunday morning. The warm breeze caressed Audrey's face as she warily trode  the narrow streets of Isabela, Negross Occidental. "Thankyou Lord for this day, for all the blessings.." she murmurred, focusing her  blinking eyes on the blinding light of the morning star. At five o'clock, you'll see her warming up with chores and by ten, she's sitting on her armchair listening to lectures. After school , the stall ajar the campus gate would be assembled for Aling Sefa's Ice Candy, where her early freezed juice of assorted flavors would be sold to the pupils, trolling after classes would be dismissed.

"Atee! Ateeee! (sister in Filipino) "  A voice echoing from somewhere behind her. At first, she ignored it, thinking that it's only another trivial scheme to trick her. But not anymore.  "Ateeeeeeee!!" it was a persisting, demanding sound, as if it couldn't wait for another second. So she looked back, and for a fraction of a second, she finally figured the source of the tragic notion--her younger brother. 

"Jo-Jonathan...Jonathan!" Fast running toward her weeping, frightened brother. "What's wrong? Are you alright?" Without a word, the child pulled and hugged her, as if he'll fall high when he'd let go. Audrey's heart started throbbing fast, having no clue of what's going on. "Come'on pal, don't be afraid. Tell Ate Audrey what bothers you, and I'll drive them off with my super powers, like your favorite superhero!" but he pressed harder, even more afraid. She sensed something morbid. "I- It's Mamaa..aa...."his voice shaking in despair, "Maa-mamaa.." he whispered to her sister.

This time, Audrey isn't the superhero she thought she was anymore. Not only that  she didn't save the day, but also she was among the victims herself.

"No. no.....this can't happen, I could be dreaming... no..!" She kept telling herself, her legs running tight as a racing horse, thoughts reccuring on her mind on what to do, why and how things unfolded like a mishap. Now, she knew it was a race of time and destiny. It was a run of her life.

Before she knew, the travailing paces had come into a full halt. She was now inside the four-corner native nipa house, stood in a parcel of land, with her mother laying on the floor, dead. 

She fell on her knees,staring blankly at the void space. Her world stopped. There was no time, no fate, no anything. 

..............................

It is no more a typical day. The mornings were no longer mundane nor repetitive, as the nights  were no longer excited of what lies the ahead. With a clenched fist, she pounded the earth, pressing the heap of sand on her wearied fingers.  Onion-skinned, she did not cry.

.............................

We must build dikes of courage to hold back the flood of fear.

Martin Luther King, Jr. 

....................

Hi there. If you're reading this now, you have probably read the first chapter.

Thankyou so much. Feel free to comment, suggest and vote. God bless us.