The World In Apocalypse

“So, it happened….” Whispered the four-eyed girl at herself as she grabbed a sling bag from her closet. “I already warned them, and they didn’t believe me… I guess karma swings once in a while after all.” She wore a black jacket with a pink star in the back over a violet colored plain shirt, wore a tight black belt with her jeans, tied her shoe as strong as she could, and wore the sling bag and adjusted it just under her belt. After so she went out of the room leaving the lights on, and silently walked to the fridge to get a bottle of water and four loaves of bread. “It’s better than nothing.” She says. She took one final glance at the clock in the living room and spied “7:45” and went out of the house not bothering to turn the electricity off…

The smell of dead bodies hanging around the air, the damp feeling when you breath, and cars destroyed and tumbled against houses and walls, everything was chaotic, nothing felt safe, still she walked ignoring everything thinking and looking straight through, she is going to take one last detour before going out of the city and in to the woods to find a safer place. “Shop for Remedies” she murmured as she checked a hand-drawn map. There was a big blue circle highlighting a square in the leftmost part of it, in the square was “Shop for Remedies” from where she was, the direction is to move straight ahead and at a fork turn right, then at another fork turn left, it was a shortcut. Her footsteps rang through the streets, so she slowed down a bit trying to make less noise.

“This is a bit too convenient” she breathed out, scratching her head.

As it was, the world had turned into a savaged nightmare of any human, a zombie-apocalyptic place where zombies, the walking dead, the Undead… “Walkers” whichever is preferred, lurks every single crevice of the streets. Usually it would take just 40 seconds before you see a walker as you step out of your hiding place.

Walkers, they’re not picky eaters. If they smell meat, they’ll go ahead and take it right away since their “Human”-side is gone and only the carnivorous instinct to eat whatever meat is present remains, and the slightest sound would make these undead come close. So as such she was disturbed at the thought that there are none around, supposedly she would have been attracting them any second now but… none, not one came. She was scared that one would pop out of nowhere, quickly she thought “There’s a possibility that someone or something is luring them away, somewhere near… there’s someone alive unless they’re ravaging on the meat of that person by now” all that while walking stealthily toward her destination, fully aware that one or two walkers could be near…

She reached the fork, and as she slowly turned her vision to her right, a truck unfortunately was blocking the path, it was a small alley there was no way to get through than to go over that truck… she don’t know what horror could grab her, she went near and searched for an opening, but to no luck, no hole she could fit through was there.

After minutes of searching through the same line, there was no luck… Then suddenly out of nowhere footsteps, and zombie groans started ringing throughout the entire area, and it kept getting closer the girl stepped back a few inches from the truck and the foul smell of dead bodies entered her nose. She looked up and above the truck a young man was struggling to snap himself away from the zombies, dumbfounded the girl was frozen in place. “RUN!!!” the young man said as he jumped swiftly down the truck, she grabbed the girl from the shoulder and dragged away…. And the groaning of the zombies started to disappear as they get further away. They took refuge inside a small metallic closed convenience store 7 alleys away from where they met…

“Where’s your parents?” The young man asked. “Long gone” the girl shortly replied having no expression on her face. “Who were you with?” the young man asks again tossing his bag on top of one shelf. “No one.” she replied, still lacking any will to give emotions.”I’m Ben, you are?” he introduce himself facing the kid with a smile. “Remillia”. The girl answered. “What were you doing back there?”Ben asks,

“I was about to get some medicine.” Remillia answered staring at the air.

“Medicine? For what?”

“Rations, for healing and other things that a medicine can do.”

“Well, that’s quite intellectual of you. How old are you anyway?”

“I’m 15.”

“You’re young…. Weren’t you with anyone before the incident?”

“I was alone, grandpa’s back travelling in Asia.”

“So, no one at all? Friends? Sibilings?”

“None.”

And then silence took over, and Ben decided to check out the place for anything useful.

As she realized it, Remillia haven’t even examined who she was with she has absentmindedly been going with the flow. She looked at the Young man, Ben and realized that he is of the Asian race with the thin-eyes, he resembles a Korean face much like her grandfather, Remillia on the other hand looks entirely English, well maybe her eyes are a bit thin from usual.

“So, what are your plans?” Ben asked erupting the silence once again.

“I’m going to the woods, or somewhere downtown where there’s few people..” she replied as she started scavenging the place.

“Oh, you’re not planning on bringing anyone?”

“I don’t think companionship will benefit me that much, as I can take care of myself…”

“Says the girl who got frozen while in front of a hoard of zombies…”

“I was just surprised, and when I said I can take care of myself I meant that I have a bigger chance of survival than the average person seeing as I have planned precautionary measures and bringing someone with me is not on the list.”

“Why not, I mean… at least you have someone with you in case something happens…”

“I wouldn’t want the drama, and I don’t want to be a drag as much as I don’t want to bring a drag.”

“Really? Okay, your choice… but for now, let me stick with you.”

“Do as you please, just don’t get all emotional over me…..”

The two started packing and went outside….

A tiny growl resounded through the streets as a small girl with her mouth cut open was standing in the middle of the path…

“Let’s just move quietly to the side…” Ben grabs Remillia’s hand as they walk quietly.

The little girl did not notice them as they creep through, she had such a small frame and looks as fragile as a normal kid… Remillia couldn’t think of nothing but pity for the little girl.

“No one’s really safe now, huh?” She asked in a whisper.

“It’s sad but, yes… everything will be devoured and savaged by this catastrophe… no one’s safe, we’re all in the brink of danger.” Ben replies spacing out into the blue sky.

“You must have had it hard, you seem to have lost someone… have you?” Remillia asks, curious with Ben’s tone.

“I wasn’t prepared, these things we’re all just works of the mind at first… and now, here it is… right in front of us. I didn’t knew what to do, as they ravaged on her all I could do was to freeze… things happened so fast, that morning we were just walking the streets under the calm winter sky when all of a sudden this man came raging out of nowhere and grabbed her…..” Ben answers, with tears forming in his eyes.

“Well, that’s sad to hear… I don’t have sob stories, but for now… we have to survive…. I’ll show you something.” Remillia takes charge as she grabs Ben, and they dash through a flight of stairs leading up to a rooftop.

They stood on top, clinging hands unto each other… as they sight the magnificent view of the sky above all the anarchy below, it was just like the normal sky, a few clouds and the tranquility of the blue shades is still intact, if you focus your sight solely upon it you would think nothing wrong’s going wrong in the world….

“Look at that, it’s beautiful isn’t it? It’s the only thing that hasn’t changed…” Remillia points out to the blue sky spreading throughout the horizon.

Ben stands in awe, a smile forming in his face.

“Well, we better get going, we don’t have the luxury of time…” Remillia suggested.