[14] - Life Has To Go On

[14] 

Life Has To Go On

Rory

Even though two weeks have passed, I could tell that the weirdoes were still finding it hard to move on. Jack, the once friendly and lively chap I knew was now stoic and hardened. Toni, the normally bubbly orange-haired weirdo was now intensely quiet, an equally quiet Silver always by her side. Viviane was like a flickering light bulb – here one day, gone the next. It was like she didn't remember how to settle.

I was worried about them and that was why I'd asked Adam if we could invite them over to our place as a distraction.

Adam looked at me like I was the most precious thing in the world, making me blush and shift uncomfortably as he said huskily, "You're like our bonding glue."

"That's so cheesy," I said, but I was blushing. "I just want them to know they're not alone, and life goes on."

I was rewarded with a passionate kiss for that.

Turns out my suggestion was great because the weirdoes came to life when they came to our place. I made them play board games. I brought out the monopoly, twister, and chess, and they'd initially groaned in dismay but soon, the sitting room was filled with wild laughter and tangled bodies covered in paint as we played a messy game of twister.

Adam ordered pizza, and we gathered around on the sitting room floor as we ate, watching a movie – after hours of bickering – that we'd finally agreed on.

The night ended on good spirits, Toni back to her bubbly self, Viviane bratty as usual, while Silver rolled his eyes and ignored them as they said goodnight and made to leave the house.

"Thanks Rory," Jack said as he headed to the door, "You should consider becoming like us, if you want."

Before I could reply, he was out the door, closing it gently behind him. I smiled, feeling warmed that he'd asked.

"Do you want to?"

I turned around to face Adam. I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around his neck, "I don't know," I said honestly, "I haven't thought about it. Do you want me to?" I asked in a teasing tone, nuzzling my face into his neck.

A rumbled purr rose up in his throat before he cut off the sound, blushing lightly as he replied, "I asked you first."

"Answer me, wolf."

He chuckled and sighed, his arms wrapping around my waist, "Fine, to be honest, I don't care. I want you, Rory, in any shape or form."

"Aw, fuck, all this lovey dovey shit is going to give me cavities," I laughed, pulling him down for a deep kiss. "I don't have to make a decision now, after all, we have all the time in the world to talk about that, don't we?"

His smile was as bright as the sun. "I guess we do."

*

I'd gone to Patricia's to study because I had a test coming up the next day. I would have studied at home with Adam, but he'd been out of the house all day doing God knows what. I texted him that I was on my way home when I was done, and felt a flash of worry when I didn't get a text back.

I drove home trying not to think too hard about it, staying optimistic. Maybe he was busy with the pack and left his phone somewhere. Or something. I exited the car and walked to the house, fumbling for my keys in my pockets. The lights were on, meaning Adam was home.