Part One

Zuko's scar is a large feature on his face, Sokka thought, where and how did he get it? He looked over to the other side of the roaring campfire, where Zuko sat. When Sokka looked closely, he saw dark circles around his beautiful eyes, or at least one beautiful eye and a burn scar.

"You're a horrible person, you know that Zuko?" Katara shouted at him. She really couldn't stop roasting him, could she? Zuko had proved his worth to Sokka, when he helped save Suki, and his father. Sokka was on Zuko's side now. Zuko winced lightly, but tried hard not to show that he was affected, he thought he needed to be invincible, otherwise people would take him lightly. Well that's what he thought.

Toph groaned, "It's getting late, I'm tired. BED!" She left, earthbending rocks behind her in the direction of Katara. It was subtle, but it showed that she didn't agree with what Katara had said.

"Look, I know that everyone trusts you now, but it doesn't change the fact that you've hurt all of us, Aang especially and they all believe this little charade that's going on. Oh, but I see through your little guise, and all I see is a coward, and a traitor. It must be so good for you, some people finally holding you close and trusting you; but I hate you, and your apparent 'transformation'. You will always be the person who hurt us and Aang," Katara ranted. This time, Zuko visibly winced, and looked away. It hurt him, didn't it? Having someone scream at you, resurfacing all the mistakes you've made in your life and throwing them back in your face, but you can't say anything, or they'll hate you more. He stood up, then slowly walked away. Toph came back.

"I felt some dodgy vibrations, Sparky's heart rate went all over the place! Is everything okay?"

"Since when has anything ever been okay with Zuko? He's been a brat as usual," Katara snorted.

"Katara, you're not telling the whole story. You just screamed at Zuko, and expected him to be okay with it, and not talk back. That's right, he didn't argue, and you're still being stubborn and refusing to accept him into Team Avatar," Sokka said. Somehow, he felt something resonating in his soul towards the Fire Nation prince.

"Oh, I'm the one being stubborn and fussy? Have you seen Zuko?' Katara argued.

"Look, I'm not one to usually interfere, Sugar Queen, but have you seen yourself? You are making fights out of everything, and roasting Sparky when he has done nothing wrong when he's been with us!" Toph exploded.

"I'm going to see if Zuko's okay," Sokka said quietly. It seemed like Aang was the only one who hadn't said anything. "Aang, do you wanna come with me?"

"Sure," Aang replied.

When they reached the tent, they heard the sounds of muffled sobs.

"Is Zuko... crying?" Aang asked, bewildered. "That doesn't seem like him."

"Hmmmm, maybe Katara was a bit too harsh on him," Sokka replied, "we should check if he's okay."

They went into the tent to see Zuko lying on his sleeping bag, clearly muffling tears.

"Zuko, buddy, what happened?" Sokka questioned worriedly.

"I-I don't deserve this, you being kind to me. So I-I..." he said softly in a choked voice.

"Zuko, no one deserves to feel like this. It's not good or healthy. Come on, let's get Katara to apologise," Aang said, his caring nature coming through.

"No-no, she hates me. She would never help me," he whispered. "I don't deserve it."

"Zuko, listen to me, she doesn't hate you, she just... tough love," Sokka tried. He didn't understand why seeing the prince hurt made him hurt too.

"I can't see her," he sobbed. "She'll make it worse."

"Okay, we'll leave you for a few minutes. Don't worry, or do anything," Aang commanded.

They both came back to the campfire, which was reduced to a bunch of hot embers without Zuko to renew the flames.

"Katara, do you know what you've done?" Sokka asked quietly.

"I shouted at a jerk who deserved it," she said sulkily.

"Did you know he's crying in his tent?" Aang said softly.

"I-what? The snobby spoiled prince is crying?!" Katara exclaimed.

"It's because of what you said Katara. He thinks he doesn't deserve any of the kindness that we've given him, and needs to make up for it somehow. It's what he thinks he deserves," Sokka explained.

"Well he does deserve it," Katara shot back defiantly.

"Katara! Aren't you going to at least apologise?" Aang questioned in shock.

"If he wants pain, that's what he'll get."

Sokka walked away, shocked that his sister could treat someone like that. Katara had helped a whole village in the guise of a spirit, but wouldn't help one emotionally wounded firebender. Sokka then realised that he didn't know his little sister at all. When he reached Zuko's tent and looked inside, he was in for a nasty surprise.

"Zuko? Zuko! Buddy where are you?" he screamed. "Aang, he's gone!"

"What! Ugh, why does Katara and Zuko's relationship have to be so messy?" Aang complained.

"No, no I'm worried he might have hurt himself!" Sokka exclaimed.