Canis Major

Moony had a tattoo.

There was no denying that fact or going around it in speculation. The truth was simple and clear.

Moony had a tattoo.

And Sirius was dying to see it.

Looking back, knowing what he knows today, Sirius might have seen this coming. Since the previous year, Remus had spent a lot of time with Mary looking at muggle magazines about piercings and tattoos, comparing their favourites and how much it would hurt in the different places. Remus even showed up to their dormitory one day all marked with a black sharpie over his arms and neck, which Sirius thought was ridiculous, mostly because he didn't take part in drawing all over the boy's body, but also somewhat sexy. Even though now Moony was the responsible one, making him and James do their homework and putting a stop when their pranks got too dangerous, Sirius remembered pretty well that summer in fourth year when Remus showed up to the station all dressed in black, with combat boots and a pack of cigarettes in hands. In his wildest dreams, the boy imagined Lupin showing up to the great hall like that, playing the guitar and singing Get It On by T-Rex looking him deep in the eyes and kissing after playing the last note. Grabbing him right there in the middle of everyone and tearing his clothes apart.

Much to Sirius's disappointment, on their seventh and last time returning to Hogwarts, Remus was wearing his regular brown trousers and a pale green sweater. Not that it didn't look good on him, because it definitely did, especially when the loose fabric got up when Remus stretched and a bit of his skin showed, but personally Sirius would have preferred the rockstar outfit. That, or no clothes at all, but that was probably against school regulations. Anyway, it was in one of those stretches accompanied by a tired yawn that Sirius ended up spitting his pumpkin juice all over James.

At first, the boy only looked in awe at the uncovered light skin, marked by white and pinkish scars that were also part of Sirius's fantasies, but then he saw something different. A fine black line connected to something covered by the tissue.

Did Remus John Lupin get a tattoo without telling his friends? Without telling Sirius?!

"You alright, mate?" Asked Peter slapping him on the back, oblivious, as the others were, to the motive of the commotion in Sirius' mind and body.

"Yeah," he coughed a little more. "Just thought I saw something outside."

"Really?" Questioned James, getting up to look at the cabin window, already forgotten about his cloak covered in juice. "I heard some sixth years saying they saw a hippogriff flying over the mountains!"

"Uhum" Sirius tried to hide the colour in his cheeks. Damn pale skin. "Must have been that."

When Sirius looked away, pretending to be really interested in whatever magazine Peter was reading, his eyes met Remus' just for a split second and right at that moment he realised that he hadn't fooled him. James Potter was his best friend since the first time he saw him, they were both from magic families, loved quidditch more than anything and shared a passion for destruction, so it was really hard to hide something from him, not he often felt the need to. But Remus, It was impossible. Just a quick glance from those deep brown iris made Sirius feel like having his whole soul exposed. Even so, said the long-haired boy to himself, There is no way he knows I was looking at him. Right?

Over the next few weeks, Sirius Black made an elaborate plan to satiate his curiosity, which consisted basically of "accidentally" opening the bathroom door while Remus was in the shower and throwing things way high for him to catch. He did manage to see James' naked butt and the strap of Moony's boxers, but nothing more than that.