12|• the yearning of comfort

(ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕥-𝟚)

(The pain of insecurities and the fear of losing yourself)

Ruhi- 20 Yuvaan- 24

Time changes everything,

Everything that you thought will remain constant. Time changes everything.

In school whenever parents called for meetings and programs I used to feel jealous and sad seeing everyone's father coming but not mine. My baba is a superhero, and superheroes do not have time for their family.

But even if baba wouldn't come, aai would. But today, seeing no one on my side, a void of sadness stills in my heart.

Maybe if I had stopped ageing at fourteen then I would have still been a kid in their eyes who needed them all the time.

Maybe if I had the courage to tell my aai that she can go to Nani's house tomorrow and be with me for today. But I couldn't gather enough courage to say. She left with ruhaan only giving me a hug as all the best.

Only if I had pushed Nani from the stairs when I was six I wouldn't have been sulking here in a classroom full of other students.

Only if Nani didn't put up an act of heart attack to gain her children's attention.

Only if I didn't participate in this shitty function.

Only if – “you're overthinking.”

A voice made me make out my depressing world as I sighed, turning my gaze to Vaani – my one and only friend I have in college. It wasn't like there wasn't anyone from my previous school who had taken admission in college but I would rather eat zeher than talk to those toxic rats once again.

“I am not.” I denied, nevertheless.

“You know how you are looking right now?” She asked, leaning forward.

“Don't say manjulika.” I am, in fact, very much aware of dark circles beneath my eyes and sullen face I had since evening and my hair that didn't want to smooth today, rather be frizzy and dry. “Nahi toh mein ro dungi, sachi bata rahi hu."

Through the mirror, Vaani looked puzzled and comically confused.

“You know that look.” She began, waving her hand in the air. “ That smudgy kinda look you have after making out? No car se–”

“Vaaniii!!” I shrieked in horror, my hands coming up to smack her mouth shut as a few girls from beside our chair seemed to hear what she said.

“What do you mean? I do not for god's sake kiss a guy even on the cheeks.” I said with exasperation. ”except my brother, of course.”