Our Performance (One-Shot)

Khem P.O.V

"He's here! Everybody to their places!"

It was time for the major performance. We had government officials coming to Mansuang in honor of Chatras return. The Thai government was known for not associating with the likes of us. At least not during the daytime. However, when the loneliness of nighttime called. You could find them in our special rooms. Reserved only for our wealthy customers. Although Chatra was doing a spectacular job all by himself at dissolving biases and prejudice towards people of our 'kind.' He was truly making a change with his rightfully earned influence.

This was Chatras' first time back in Mansuang since his call to the government. Everybody was excited. Hopeful chatter was passed between the staff. Small whispers of the 'once bright taphon player turned powerful government official' escaped the bands lips. No matter his stance, it seemed we still saw him as one of us. I missed him. We exchanged letters as frequently as we could. His letters always ended with his dish of the day. Mine always ended with a print of my lip stain. A smudge of red always landing on the Mansuang seals. Every chance I got, I would walk into the marketplace. Buying an assortment of small valley flowers that only grew in our region. Placing them in my letters. To remind him of the place he once called home. I trained hard for this performance. I have been training Mansuangs new recruits. Becoming the new appointed teacher. It held much authority. Yet, I tried my hardest to become a teacher people respected rather than feared.

When the announcement arrived of Chatras' long awaited return. Hong asked me to dance center stage one more time. Yet, I struggled with the decision. I wanted to allow for the new recruits to perform their talent in front of the Thai Military. However, Hong explained that a performance from me was Chatras own request. Who was I to refuse him?

The day arrived. People were rushing around the stage. Checking if everything was ready for the performance. A special government officiated performance required my gold plated dress wear.  I did my makeup near the back. Using the same red lip stain I would use for Chatras letters. Placing crushed gold powder on my eyelids. I was ready.

I walked to the back of the stage. My outfit glittering across the walls. As I walked behind the curtain. I heard the band start. A symphony of instruments filling the main hall. The lights dimmed, and a hush of whispers found themselves quiet. I raised my arms. Fingers outstretched in perfect stance. I stood tall and upright. Then, the curtains opened. My body swayed to the music, while my eyes scanned the room. Bureaucrats and military alike watched me dance in their official regalia. For a moment it seemed all their power and influence meant nothing. The only person that commanded the room was me. Pairs of eyes followed my every move. In the middle, was Chatra. Also in full regalia, hair styled like the bureaucrats. Only men of that power and influence were allowed that hair style. When our eyes met. I pranced forward. Straying from my practiced choreography.

I made my way over to him. Where I extended a hand. The officials cheered next to him. Hitting his back as a way to return my gesture. He smiled and took my hand. Flipping it over and placing a small kiss at the back. I smiled at him and returned my attention to the others. Playfully dancing my way through their chairs. I saw the way their eyes lit up when I got close. Eyes sparkling with every turn of my body. However, my mind was on one person only. The person this performance was curated for. The person I have been missing all this time.

As the music ended. I did my final bow. The lights turned back on, and people rose from their seats in cheers and applause. Hong stepped to the front of the room and introduced me. Explaining my leadership role in Mansuang, and how a performance from me would be a rare opportunity.

As the chatter dispersed. I found my way backstage. As I opened the door to the changing headquarters. I heard soft footsteps following mine.

"Long time no see Sir.Chatra."