Prologue

"Carli?" I hear. I look up from my book to see my dads standing at my door. Dads, as in plural. Dad and Daddy adopted me when I was three and fostered me for a year before that. "Yes?" I say.

"Daddy and I are going out now. Try not to throw any parties while we're gone," Dad says. I laugh. "Yeah right, a party of two. I'll be sure to tell Dawon not to get too crazy though." Dad gives me a concerned look. "I don't like you hanging out with that boy, you know that." Dad doesn't like Dawon but that's my best friend and I really don't care what Dad has to say about it. I think it's just the fact that he's a boy and I'm Dad's little girl.

"Don't you have to get going?" I ask, trying to hurry them along. The both of them walk over to my bed kissing my forehead. "We love you sweetie," Daddy tells me and they both walk out of my room shutting the door behind them.

I take out my phone and facetime Dawon. "Hey Carls, I'm kind of with Kennedy. Can I call you back? You didn't need anything did you?" He asks. "I just wanted you to come over but you better hurry and hang up before Kennedy throws a bitch fit."

"Baby, who's that?" I hear in the background of the call.

"I'll come over in two hours," Dawon says hanging up before I can say anything. Kennedy is his girlfriend and she doesn't like me. At all. But, I was his friend before she was his girl so her opinion of me doesn't matter to him. That's why I love Dawon. He always puts me first.

I read my book for another two hours (yes it's that good) and then, as promised, Dawon shows up. I open the door letting him in. I look at the clock on the wall and it says 11:00. "Don't you have a curfew?" I ask him.

"Yeah, but you wanted me to come over. Don't worry, I texted my mom. She isn't happy though," he says. "Oh," I say, not sure what to say. I grab his hand and pull him up the stairs to my room.

"So how'd you get away from Kennedy? I'm sure she was mad!" I ask him laughing. I don't know why she acts like that. "I told her I was going home to study for the test tomorrow. I didn't necessarily lie because this is my other home and you're going to help me study for the test," he says with a cheeky smile. "You should just spend the night," I tell him.

"You sure? Aren't your dads going to be home soon? They don't like me very much." I kind of regret telling him about how my dads don't like him. Now he's never sure if he should spend the night or come for dinner. Of course, they don't know he spends the night because if they did they'd lock me in a tower.

"You can just stay up here while they're home," I assure him. He nods and then takes off his shirt and jogging pants, leaving him in his boxers. He's way too comfortable with me, but I like it. He lays on my bed and turns on the tv. "I thought we were going to study!" I laugh. "You knew that wasn't going to happen. I don't know why you got your hopes up, you nerd."

"I am not a nerd," I pout. "Close your eyes." He closes his eyes and I take off my pants and shirt. As I'm putting on a different shirt he peeks. "Hey!" I yell, throwing a pencil at him. (the first thing I could find) I lock my door and then get in the bed next to him. We watch tv together and the next thing I know, we're asleep.

I wake up and hear the shower, in the bathroom connected to my room, running. I sit up and grab my phone, checking my Twitter until he's out. He comes out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel. "Good morning beautiful," he says. I smile. "Good morning ugly," I tell him.

"How immature," he says. I stick my tongue out at him, grabbing a towel out of my closet and going into the bathroom. I take a quick shower and do my other hygiene things. When I come out, I find a fully dressed Dawon laying across my bed and staring at the tv. "It's time for you to go," I tell him. "Already?" he pouts. I laugh. "Call your girlfriend."

"Fine," he says, climbing out of my window. "I LOVE YOU CARLI." he yells on the way out. "I love you too, you goofball." I close my window and get ready for school.