Crow's Nest

Chapter #2: Crow's Nest

Crow's Nest Flight Controller: Sorry for the tight squeeze. (to the other Flight Controller) Tell the Commander her ace is in the hole.

Kilo 023 touches down. Medics load an injured marine on a stretcher and move. The Master Chief or Aiden-117, Thel 'Vadam and Johnson get off. Marines sitting by the landing pad see the Chief get out of the Pelican.

Marine #1: Hey. Check it out.

Marine #2: No way! A Spartan?!

Marine #3 (Blind-by-injury): For real? You better not be...

Marine #2: No man, he's here! We're gonna be alright!

Commander Miranda Keyes comes out onto the Landing Pad to meet Johnson, 'Vadam and the Master Chief.

Commander Miranda Keyes:
Where'd you find him?

Sergeant Avery Junior Johnson: Napping. Out back.

They salute, as she salutes back and smiles.

Commander Keyes: Hmm, I'll bet. It's good to see you Chief.

Keyes shakes the Chief's hand.

Master Chief Petty Officer John-117Aiden-117: Likewise, ma'am.

Commander Keyes: Let's get you up to speed.

Down the hallways of the base, wounded Marines lay against the walls. Two Marines chatting to each other notice Commander Keyes and the Master Chief. They make way and salute.

Commander Keyes: The Prophet of Truth's ships breached the Lunar perimeter. Smashed what was left of the Home Fleet.

As 'Vadam walks by, the Marines lower their hands and stare in astonishment.

Commander Keyes: Terrestrial casualties from the subsequent bombardment were...

Medics race by with an injured Marine on a stretcher. Johnson tends to an injured Marine.

Commander Keyes: ...extreme. Truth could've landed anywhere, but he committed all his forces here. East Africa. The ruins of New Mombasa. Then, they started digging.

Master Chief/Aiden-117: What about Halo?

Commander Keyes: We stopped it, but only temporarily. Now, the Prophet of Truth is looking for something called 'The Ark', where he'll be able to fire all the Halo Rings. If he succeeds, Humanity, the Covenant, every sentient being in the Galaxy...

Master Chief/Aiden-117: The rings will kill us all.

Technician: Ma'am, I have Lord Hood.

Commander Keyes: Patch him through.

Lord Hood appears on the main screen.

Fleet Admiral Lord Terrence Hood (Video COM): Good news, Commander Keyes?

Commander Keyes: As good as it gets, sir.

Lord Hood (Video COM): So I see. What's your status, son?

Master Chief/Aiden-117: Green. Sir.

Commander Keyes: Truth's ships are clustered above the excavation site. And his infantry has deployed Anti-Aircraft Batteries around the perimeter. But, if we neutralize one of the batteries, punch a hole in Truth's defenses...

Lord Hood (Video COM): I'll initiate a low-level strike. Hit 'em right where it hurts. I only have a handful of ships, Master Chief. It's a big risk. But I'm confident—

The power cuts completely.

Technician: Hell! Not again!

Commander Keyes: Emergency generators! Now!