|1| The Fitzroy's and Wynn's

1820, London

Nothing annoyed Beatrice Wynn more than the phrase 'A man and a young lady can't be best friends.'
"How ridiculous" she had always thought. Why, look at her and Daniel Fitzroy for example. They had been neighbours and best friends since childhood, much like their fathers. Baron Fitzroy and Viscount Wynn had been thick as thieves since their Oxford days, and were seen to frequent gentlemen's club together.

The mothers got along fairly well too, even though the Baroness wasn't utterly fond of Viscountess Wynn's pushy and interfering nature.
But things were about to change now that they were both of age to be eligible in the marriage mart this season, and Beatrice was currently practicing the pianoforte under her mother's watchful eye.

"Mr. Fitzroy is coming." The Wynns' butler declared and soon enough, a black haired, moderately tall young man entered the room, bowing curtly.

"Daniel!" Beatrice let out a defeaning squeal as she jumped to her feet at the sight of Daniel.

"Ah, Mr. Fitzroy, a pleasure as always!" Baroness Wynn smiled, though the disapproving look on her face said otherwise.
"Beatrice, I believe you should work on the pianoforte a bit longer. I'm sure Mr. Fitzroy wouldn't mind." She said in a sickly sweet voice, shooting daggers at Beatrice out of the corners of her eyes.

"Pianoforte? Since when are you so interested in that, Beatrice?" Daniel said, his dark eyes twinkling.

-"Well, learning the pianoforte is a very important skill for eligible young ladies, and Beatrice would be introduced to the society this season. At tomorrow night's debutante ball, in fact." Baroness Wynn answered before Beatrice could open her mouth.

"Mama, I'd work all night on it, I promise! Right now, though..." Beatrice leaped on her feet and dragged Daniel out of the entrance door, followed by a very confused maid.

"Don't you think it's inappropriate for a young lady to wander about with a gentleman without courting?" Daniel asked in a mocking tone.

-"A gentleman? Oh please." Beatrice snorted. "I've seen you biting your own hands off or making a mess on the floor as kids. You barely register as an adult human to me. Besides, we've a chaperone, my maid."

-"Now that hurt my ego terribly, Miss Wynn, not very polite of you." Daniel made a sad face that made Beatrice punch playfully on his arm.

-"Is this possibly the last time of us wandering freely together, now that you're about to be out in society?" Daniel asked.

-"Perhaps." Beatrice sighed. "Though, we must make escapades at those stuffy balls. I simply can't spend an entire evening simpering everytime a gentleman compliments my dress or hair."

-"And here I thought I'd finally getout of your annoying clutches. Seems not."

-"Hah! As if. " Beatrice grinned.

She was a bit nervous at the idea of finding a husband, though she'd rather die than openly express her fear. But she felt like she wasn't ready yet. She wasn't ready to let go of her joyous spontaneous life so early, and definitely not ready to be the lady of a household.

But right now her best friend was by her side, and she was determined to have a relaxed, fun morning and let go of all worries .

***
Much like his jovial father, Daniel Fitzroy had an air of charm about him that put everyone at ease whenever he was present. Easy going and slightly mischievous, he was well liked in society.
However, he laughed the most whenever he was with his green eyed, long black haired best friend, who was equally as cheeky as him, if not more.

Beatrice attempting to find a husband would be amusing to see, he thought. As he entered his house after the stroll , he was grinning at an imaginary scenario involving a very bored Beatrice and a plump man with a pot belly.

"I heard Miss Wynn is going to be out this season." Viscountess Fitzroy was sitting in the drawing room,waiting for Daniel to sit beside her so she could continue speaking.

-"Ah, yes. Would be enjoyable seeing her trying to be lady like." Daniel was still grinning.
-"Daniel, I don't meant to pressurise you, but perhaps you should start looking for a wife too? There's no need to rush. It'll take forever to find a young lady you'd like, no doubt."

-"No, mama! Have you been associating too closely with Lady Wynn? I've no intention of doing that any soon, especially not this season. Five or six years later, perhaps. " Daniel said casually.

Lady Fitzroy opened her mouth but closed again, knowing it'd be of no use. Daniel would only get more stubborn with persuading.
With a tiny sigh, lady Fitzroy picked up a pear from the fruit bowl and channelled her exasperation into a mighty bite.